• Issue 10 Out Now!

Scott Kull: The new Director of Athletics
Abigail Taylor, Contributing Writer • April 16, 2024

The Final Countdown

Reorganizing business as usual, I, the managing editor of the paper, am back for another intermittent guest appearance in the “Letter from the Editor” column. 

Struggling to think of what to fill space with this go around, I figured it appropriate to turn to what has been on my mind, as well as what I suspect to be a good number of fellow seniors: the matter of employment.

Jobs. Everyone’s got to have one. 

Or at least that’s the operating narrative. I should say I am writing this immediately after reading a Rolling Stone article about a Wofford “alum” who was shot a few years ago under mysterious and yet unsolved circumstances. It’s debatable how unsolved it is, given his present situation involved living as an unemployed, van-dwelling rock climber, hiding from his prior life as a neo-Nazi organizer and email-phisher. 

Apparently this is a somewhat viable and lucrative recourse, if one of the big four firms doesn’t pick you up and if AOL doesn’t smack you with a $12.8 million lawsuit. So I’ll grant that my view of employment and career trajectory may be a little jaded right now.

All that to say, I don’t think I speak out of turn when I say that I, along with the rest of my class, are at worst, dreading graduation, and at best…anticipating it. 

Likely, we will all miss something here, whether it be the friends who have become dear to us, the staff and faculty who have educated and served us in any number of meaningful ways or the top-notch facilities (with perhaps the exclusion of Marsh). 

But one of the biggest, and in my view underappreciated, adjustments that awaits after the flipping of the tassel is the loss of security a place like Wofford provides. 

If, reading between the lines, you assume the thesis of this letter is yet another “Wofford bubble” piece, that is not the desired effect. Anyone, no matter where or if they go to college, have to deal with the feeling of being alone out in the world in some respect. It can be a moment or a prolonged portion of one’s life, and, quite often, it happens far more than once. 

Thankfully, the excellent network and reputation that Wofford provides its graduates will hopefully, for many, minimize the frequency and intensity of these ponderings. But even money, job offers and a quasi-prestigious degree from Wofford cannot solve all your problems, especially in regards to finding your place and purpose in life.

If this sounds like I am thinking out loud and not saying much of anything, you’d be correct. In reality, we all follow the same formula: network, apply, interview and eventually choose what you’ll occupy yourself with for the immediate future. Maybe you’re at the place where you know what you’re doing, or maybe that’s still a work in progress.

I guess the best I can offer is this: enjoy these last days at our home on the city’s northern border, but remember there is more, much more than this. Whether you’ve loved your time here, hated it or somewhere in between, each and every one of us has a bright future full of potential ahead. 

I’m not a delusional optimist – this is just factual. So whether in 20 years you find yourself a dentist clearing six figures in your sleep or spamming emails across the nation with penis enlargement pills – again, this is true; please look it up – do something that gives you a sense of purpose. 

There’s more to life than hating every waking moment of your existence, at least I think. Spend your time wisely. 

$0
$500