“I’m Not Going Abroad”

One of my first South African views: the sunset over Devil’s Peak with a partial view of Table Mountain

A journey from stateside to South Africa

For the last two and a half years, I told myself and others I wasn’t going abroad. I even went on an Interim trip last year as a “test run” and, though I loved it, it was further confirmation that I WOULD NOT be able to study abroad for a semester.

A mix of boredom and fleeting moments of bravery inspired my decision to spend the semester in South Africa. At the beginning of the fall of my junior year at Wofford, I felt burnt out working two jobs, being an officer of my sorority, and serving on Campus Union. I was ready for a break and an adventure.

I had also recently had a change of heart in my chosen career path. Previously, I wanted to do neuropsychology, but last summer I decided I’d be better suited for the field of Public Health. Studying abroad gave me an opportunity to study Public Health on an international scale, as well as take some courses that Wofford doesn’t offer. South Africa happened to be one of the places with a Public Health program, and as an added bonus I would arrive during their summer.

The main reason I didn’t  intend to study abroad was that the thought of leaving behind my family made me sick to my stomach. Leaving Wofford wasn’t so hard. I was ready for a break. But my family is a different story. Between leaving my mom, my aging dogs, my brother, and my grandmother, I struggled with knowing I’d probably miss some big life events.

My mom knew this, and in her infinite motherly wisdom, she slipped a few envelopes in my suitcase to open on important dates or when I’m missing my family. I’ve already opened one on my birthday (which was three days after I arrived in South Africa!) and on Valentine’s Day. Now, I have pictures of my favorite people (and dogs) on my wall directly in my line of vision.

Not only did I have to say goodbye to my family, but I also had to say goodbye to my therapist. I regularly go to counseling in the Wellness Center, which has been invaluable during my time at Wofford. Though I’m taking advantage of the counseling available through my study abroad program, anyone who goes to therapy knows that once you find the right person, it’s hard to switch things up. That’s something I’ll definitely be adjusting to here in Cape Town.

Another inhibition I had about traveling stems from the fact that I am not a fan of flying. It’s partially because no matter what I do, I CANNOT fall asleep on a plane. The remaining distaste comes from very little about air travel being in my control beyond picking my flight.

Since it’s impossible for me to sleep on a plane, that means sitting in the window seat to have a place to rest my head is of no use to me. Luckily, I ended up with an empty middle seat on my row, and was seated beside a fellow IES student. That was enough to warrant some relief about the longest leg of my trip, a 14-hour flight, and I arrived in South Africa with absolutely nothing to complain about.

The one downside of the aisle seat (in my controversial opinion) is that you don’t get a decent view out of the window. So, here is my very poor quality picture of the glow of the sunrise from three seats over

I’ve been in Cape Town for exactly three weeks now. Some parts of being here feel sort of like I’m at summer camp–including having been picked up in a van from the airport with the other 18 students.

I live in a single person apartment (it’s basically a dorm room with a kitchenette), and I’ve finally settled in. I bought an extra pillow, I have the pictures up that my mom sent, and a fan to help me sleep at night because there’s no air conditioning. I’ve found my favorite grocery store, and despite not having Cheez-Its, I think I’ll survive on the food here.

My first two weeks of classes went well. I’m directly enrolled in classes at IES, so I don’t have the added complication of figuring out a new college campus. My program itself only has nine students in it, so it’s very similar to the atmosphere I’m used to at Wofford.

One of my concerns about going abroad was that I’d regret it after I arrived. Luckily, I haven’t experienced that yet. I know living here for the next 16 weeks will have its challenges, but I know I’m resilient and will be able to handle whatever challenges come my way–and I’m proud of that!

$0
$500