Wyh Wfoford?

Students are talking about and sharing Wofford-centric Instagram content with each other.

Instagram account @woffordmemes sparks conversation on campus

You may have noticed some quality meme content on your Instagram feed lately.

An anonymous Wofford student has taken to Instagram to share Wofford-centric memes. The page, @woffordmemes, started posting on Sept. 29 and currently has over 500 followers.

The memes draw from pop culture references and offer a comically critical view of some of Wofford’s policies. Others draw on campus current events, like Wofford’s recent incidents involving fugitives of Spartanburg police coming onto school premises.

Topics covered by the page are vast and range anywhere from Wofford College administration to the prevalence of electric scooters around campus, food services and professors. More seriously, though, @woffordmemes tackles issues like the racial divide on campus and the school’s response to the coronavirus pandemic. The anonymous student behind the Instagram page did not respond to a request for comment. However, the student’s cheeky critiques and observations of Wofford have sparked conversation among students, both lighthearted and serious in nature.

When asked if he’d seen the content on @woffordmemes, Graham Campbell ‘24 said, “Yeah, they are pretty humorous. A good chuckle I’d say.” Sandra Lopez ‘21 finds the memes comical as well. “The reference to the Career Center and Richardson took me out,” she said, referring to one meme about Wofford’s Career Center and another poking fun at the many buildings on campus named after Jerry Richardson.

According to Lopez, topics like these strike a certain chord among students.

She elaborated, “With Richardson, it goes back to the fact that he has so many buildings to his name that it’s more his school than anything in a way. I like the way that they subtly said that.”

The meme format of text superimposed on a picture makes it highly circulatable, meaning students can share this content amongst themselves easily and quickly. On Instagram especially, memes are an extremely accessible platform for sharing ideas and opinions.

As students see memes about Wofford, they bond over shared experiences whether good or bad. @woffordmemes is surprisingly instrumental in creating community at Wofford, especially during a time when many students feel disconnected from each other.

$0
$500