South Carolina’s Vaccination Plan

A navy officer stocks coronavirus vaccines. The current US vaccine distribution plan has different levels prioritizing the most vulnerable members of the population. Photo courtesy of Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Trey Fowler.

What does the South Carolina vaccine rollout look like?

South Carolina has been behind in vaccination, having only 14.67% of its citizens vaccinated compared to the 17.15% of the average state as of Feb. 17.. Officials believe the country will need to get to at least 70% before we can achieve effective herd immunity, but many others believe it’s more likely going to need to be closer to 80-90%. At the current rate of vaccination, it will take the state about four to five months to achieve herd immunity. 

The statehouse has made a bill to combat this, planning to allocate $200 million more dollars among DHEC, MUSC, and hospitals over the state. Other parts of the bill include expanding who can give vaccinations and that vaccines must be allocated proportionally to different parts of the state. The bill is still awaiting approval by Governor Henry McMaster as of Feb. 18.

DHEC has laid out the state’s current vaccine plan in 4 phases. Phase 1A, the current phase, is expected to last until at least February and generally includes those over 65 and healthcare works. 

Phase 1B is expected to begin in early spring and includes frontline essential workers: “law enforcement officers, corrections officers, manufacturing workers, grocery store workers, teachers, daycare workers, and more.”

Phase 1C is expected to begin in late spring and includes those “16-64 years old with certain underlying health conditions,” and other essential workers: “transportation and logistics, food service, public safety, non-frontline healthcare workers, and more.”

Phase 2 is expected to start in summer and end by the fall and includes “all people who wish to be vaccinated.”

Nearby vaccination sites include Walgreens, CVS, all Regenesis Health Care locations and a Spartanburg Regional location at Army National Guard and University Readiness Center at USC Upstate, at 301 N. Campus Road. All are giving out based on the state-established eligibility listed above. 

When eligible to get a vaccine, search up not only the times these sites will be giving out the vaccine, but which vaccine these sites will be giving out. Those with the Pfizer vaccine as their first shot will not be allowed to get the Moderna vaccine as their second and vice versa.

Written by Cameron Carsten

$0
$500