Tossing Our Caps

Terrier celebrating graduation. The class of 2021 will be celebrating graduation on the weekend of May 16. Illustration courtesy of Walker Antonio.

Celebrating the graduating class of 2021

As with most aspects of life both on and off of Wofford’s campus, graduation festivities for the class of 2021 will look different than in years past. 

Celebrations for the 2021 graduating class include an R.O.T.C. Commissioning Ceremony, Phi Beta Kappa Ceremony, Honors Convocation, a reception hosted by President and Mrs. Samhat, Friday Food Truck Fest, the Baccalaureate Service, dinner and music on the Lawn and Commencement. 

While Commencement is traditionally held on the lawn of Old Main, this year it will be held in Gibbs Stadium. Jennifer Allison, registrar, explained that this decision was made because “the space in front of Main is not large enough to prompt physical distance for students, faculty, staff and guests in such a way that guests could see much of the proceedings.” 

Holding Commencement in Gibbs Stadium will allow for attendees to be socially distanced while still having a view of the ceremony through the use of video boards, Allison explained. In order to abide by COVID-19 guidelines, all people in attendance will be required to wear masks and guests will be limited to four people per graduating senior. The service will also be live streamed. 

Graduating seniors were given four tickets for guests which will be scanned upon entering Gibbs Stadium. Seniors have also been given the opportunity to enter into a lottery to win extra tickets. In addition, extra tickets that students are not using can be shared with other classmates. 

Despite these efforts, many graduating seniors are frustrated with the number of tickets being limited this year. One senior said, “while I understand the school’s decision in limiting the number of guests, it is upsetting to have to tell family members that they will not get to attend my graduation.” 

“Four guests is simply not enough for my large family and puts me in an uncomfortable position of having to choose who gets a ticket and who does not. Family members who can’t attend will have to watch the service on live stream, but it won’t be the same,” the student said. 

While the class of 2021 is having to adjust graduation festivities to meet COVID-19 guidelines, the Commencement Committee is still planning activities to celebrate the graduated class of 2020 in the upcoming fall. 

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the graduated class of 2020 was not able to celebrate in person.  David Beacham, senior vice president of administration and chair of the Commencement Committee said “there are plans for a significant weekend of celebration for the Class of 2020 during Homecoming, Oct. 15-17, 2021.” 

“All planning is being made in conjunction and consultation with the class officers of the Class of 2020,” Beacham explained. 

The proposed plans include an event on the morning of Sunday, Oct. 17 that will formally recognize the class of 2020 and its achievements. Family members of the graduated class will also be invited to attend this event.

$0
$500