Campus Union Aims To Change

Paola Cruz’s official announcement of her co-chairship alongside senior Sera Guerry (not pictured) posted by the Campus Union Instagram.

With the recent addition of the Diversity, Inclusion, and Anti-Racism committee, students wait in anticipation for what the new Co-Chairs plan to do. 

Following last year’s aims to right Wofford’s perceived past wrongdoings regarding inclusivity,  a new committee was added to the assembly, thanks to a bill passed in Campus Union written by Destiny Shippy ‘22. 

The bill was passed unanimously and was followed by a vote the entire student body had the option to vote on. The newfound Diversity, Inclusion, and Anti-Racism committee’s goal is to incorporate student leaders in the fight against injustices on campus. 

In previous weeks, the Election and Nominations committee of Campus Union interviewed and voted on those who applied to be chair. The outcome, however, was not a singular chairperson, but two student leaders elected  Co-Chairs of the DIA committee. Paola Cruz ‘23 and Sera Guerry ‘22 were selected to head the new committee. 

Both strong advocates of social justice on Wofford’s campus, Guerry and Cruz offered their insight on the process.

“I think that my greatest hope, as a co-chair in this role, is that we are able to work closely with the Campus Union Cabinet and the new Chief Equity Officer (Dr. Pruitt) to establish this committee and set ourselves up for the most success in the long term.,” said Guerry. “Sure, our committee has lofty goals and, between Paola and I, we try to bring ourselves back to earth and be as realistic as possible, while still striving to be as effective as possible.” 

“Every grain of sand counts, and we want our peers to incorporate their talents into genuine allyship and active participation,” added Cruz. “Furthermore, the most important part of decision-making is participatory dialogue, and this committee would cease to be equitable and inclusive if we did not hear out all minority voices on campus- that being said, Sera and I do plan on holding office hours and hosting discussions.” 

Cruz and Guerry discussed the specific plans for the future of their committee.“As it stands, we do not have a lot of solidified plans for the coming semester,” remarked Guerry. “Additionally, we are unfamiliar with the budget that we do have access to. By the nature of a committee started at the beginning of an academic year, our priority will be setting up our committee to be effective and to address training gaps and student concerns before we begin planning events that students ‘may be looking forward to.’”  

Cruz also stated, “if you are interested in joining this committee and are passionate about DIA efforts at Wofford College, keep your eyes out for the application! If you have any questions email [email protected].”

$0
$500