Wofford sophomores: the forgotten class

Class picture of Wofford’s class of 2025 on steps of Old Main during orientation week. Photo courtesy of SmugMug.

Will the class of 2024 ever truly get repaid? 

It’s not hard, for even the most oblivious of people, to notice how lucky Wofford’s newest terriers are. The class of 2025 got to have an in person, fun orientation week, complete with minimal mask wearing, an ice cream social at the row and, cherry on top, the coveted trip to Greystone. 

Now, this all might seem completely foreign to Wofford Sophomores, as what the class of 2025 experienced this past week is incredibly different from what greeted the class of 2024 as they entered Wofford campus. And yes, this is what orientation is supposed to be like. 

Orientation week for the 2021 first years began with move-in day on August 28. These terriers got help with their luggage from eager O-Staff leaders, as opposed to current sophomores having to carry everything into their new homes themselves. 

Members of the class of 2024 had to dump all their belongings out on the grass in front of their respective buildings, trying to ensure that everything remained in the small, spray-painted circle that was designated to them. Immediately after move-in for the class of 2025, they were invited to the front lawn of Old Main for an opening session, and with that, orientation began. Everyone was seated side by side, not a mask in sight. 

For Wofford’s sophomores’ orientation, this could not have been more different. After saying goodbye to family, even though a maximum of 2 people were allowed to move them, leaving out grandparents, siblings and other influential people from sending them off into this new chapter in their lives; Wofford’s class of 2024 found themselves feeling stuck, sad and alone. 

There were no immediate activities following the move in, making the transition to college life that much more difficult. Some Wofford sophomores expressed frustration regarding how hard it was to make friends during the first few days on campus, with orientation activities being slim to none and restrictions because of COVID-19 being at an all-time high. 

The global pandemic we all know and hate, was much worse last fall. Only recently have there been attempts made by the Wofford administration to try and make amends to these “forgotten sophomores.”

Cleverly titled, “Sophomore Week” is planned for the week of September 20 with various events designed towards the sophomores including, but not limited to, donuts with Dean Hurley, cookies with the class delegates and the moment all have been waiting for: a class picture.

Sophomores have mixed feelings about this. Appreciative that their feelings of neglect have been heard by administration and yet still disappointed. They missed a freshmen year, what makes the Wofford administration think one week will be enough to suffice? 

$0
$500