What’s happening to Tony White?

Tony White Theatre in the midst of construction. New renovatios are occuring the the hopes  of creating a new hub for student activities. Photo courtesy of Mark Olencki
Tony White Theatre in the midst of construction. New renovatios are occuring the the hopes of creating a new hub for student activities. Photo courtesy of Mark Olencki

A peek inside the construction in the Mungo Student Center

The Tony White Theater, located in the Mungo Student Center, has recently been undergoing massive cosmetic renovations. The theater, also known as the “black box theater” was first opened by the college in 1981.

Due to the recent 2017 construction of the Rosalind Sallenger Richardson Center for the Arts, a nearly thirty-million dollar project, Tony White theatre was closed to productions by the college’s theatre department nearly forty years after its opening. The theatre department now holds productions in the Sallenger Sisters Black Box Theatre, located in the front of the Rosalind Sallenger Richardson Center for the Arts. 

Over the past four years of the Tony White Theater’s inactivity, it has been used as a meeting space, classroom and, last year, additional seating for Zach’s customers due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Students have not been able to see the new construction, as it has been almost completely blocked off from view. Visitors of the Mungo Student Center, however, can hear the loud construction going on just on the other side of the wall.

According to Roberta Hurley ‘81, dean of students and vice president of Wofford, the new construction will bring an entirely new look to the once-dated theater. 

“The college’s architect used all the input from students which was gathered through focus groups, an online survey and the student marketing team in February 2020 to create vibrant spaces for students,” said Hurley. 

Hurley also stated that the new renovations will bring easier access to Campus Safety and the Post Office. 

Hurley explained that the Tony White Theater will have several different seating areas on the ground floor for students to enjoy. There will be regular seating in front of a large screen which is where Campus Union plans to meet on Mondays. The second floor, over the post office, will have two small glass enclosed rooms and a lounge area. 

According to Hurley, Talicia Murphy, director of student activities, is working hard to make the Mungo Student Center the hub of student activities. Additionally, Student Body President Dylan Goshorn plans to create a “Campus Union Corner” in the former game room.

Steven Mungo ‘81, a trustee of the college, and his wife, Maria, were the generous donors for the renovations inside the Mungo Student Center. 

The theater’s construction is just one of the many projects happening across the college’s campus this fall, accompanying the reconstruction of Burwell Dining Hall, erection of a softball field, and renovation of Marsh Residence Hall. 

$0
$500