Students meet with Board members

Photo courtesy of Dylan Goshorn. On Oct. 14, students met with members of the board of trustees in the Rosalind Sallenger Richardson Center for the Arts courtyard. Student Body President Dyland Goshorn and members of the board of trustees are actively seeking new methods to engage with a diverse group of Wofford students.

For Wofford students, Homecoming 2021 provided a wealth of great experiences, including opportunities to engage with members of Wofford’s board of trustees. 

Wofford students had the opportunity to meet and interact with several board trustees on Oct. 14 in the Rosalind Sallenger Richardson Center for the Arts courtyard. 

The Pre-Law Society hosted an early morning Coffee with the Board of Trustees event on Oct. 15, where students had the opportunity to meet attorneys and trustee members, such as Josh Whitley and Shawan Gillians. 

On the same day, the Career Center organized a morning meet and greet for students who are not planning to attend law school to meet with board members.  

In previous years, students participating in Campus Union and other student organizations were primarily the only students permitted to meet with the board of trustees for lunch. 

There were a few events organized by the Career Center in addition to this, and some trustee members would go to Burwell to connect with students who were not a part of the group of students who were eligible to have lunch with the board members. Otherwise, mingling was limited to nonexistent. 

Student Body President, Dylan Goshorn ‘22 spoke to the efforts to give board members greater opportunities to meet with a broader range of students. 

“I wanted to give every student, regardless of involvement on campus or grade, the opportunity to talk to the Trustees,” Goshorn said. “It is of the utmost importance to me as president that students feel that their voices are heard and their experience at Wofford is validated.”

According to Goshorn, students were thrilled to be able to connect with the board of trustees. Students expressed satisfaction at the opportunity to share and reflect on their Wofford experiences with trustee members.  

Some students received support and suggestions for their future interim experiences, while others emphasized the guidance they received for finding the best routes in their post-grad career paths.

When board members Daniel Morrison and the Rev. William Malambri were asked what were their thoughts on board members having more opportunities to engage with students who were not considered student leaders nor members of Campus Union,  Morrison said, “I think every board member likes interacting with students.”

Malambri and Morrison went on to say that talking to students helps them figure out which aspects of campus need work and how they can better serve Wofford’s students.

“We do all this for you all,” said Malambri.

“They expressed to me that they were impressed by the engagement of students to have a conversation,” uttered Goshorn on the board’s response to the events. “The board also wants to have more events like this in the future for all students.”  

Goshorn continues to find opportunities to create these experiences for board members and students to interact.

“The next Board of Trustees meeting will be held in February. I am also always open to ideas and new ways that students can interact with the Board.” said Goshorn.  

Students are encouraged to send suggestions to the Campus Union’s instagram account, @campusunion.

$0
$500