Checking in with fall sports

Photo courtesy of Mark Olencki.
Lily Hatton ‘23 led the women’s basketball team scoring with 12 points in their opening game against College of Charleston.
Photo courtesy of Mark Olencki. Lily Hatton ‘23 led the women’s basketball team scoring with 12 points in their opening game against College of Charleston.

The 2021 fall semester at Wofford has been exponentially different from that of the last academic year. One of the biggest comebacks has been the ability to view sporting events. The football, volleyball, golf, cross country and now basketball teams have been in full swing this semester.

The football team opened up the season on Sep. 4 with a win against Elon University (24-22). However, the team has not yet seemed to be able to pull through with another win. Currently, they sit on a 1-8 losing record. The team has two remaining games for the season against the Citadel and UNC.

The volleyball team opened their season with a loss on Aug. 27 against the University of North Florida. Since then, they have managed to turn their scores around with a winning conference record of 8-6. They have two remaining games against East Tennessee State University and Chattanooga University.

The men’s soccer team is currently sitting on a 5-11-1 losing record, the one tie being with East Tennessee State University. The women’s soccer team sits on a 5-12-2 losing record. 

Abigail McKenzie ‘22 was named to the SoCon Women’s Soccer All-Tournament Team. She is the thirteenth women’s Terrier to earn a spot on the All-Tournament team.

The men’s cross-country team has competed in five meets so far. They have come in fourth place twice, seventh and ninth. Additionally, Beck Classey ‘22 placed a record for fifth-best in school history for an 8k at 25:40.46. 

The women’s cross-country team has competed in five meets, coming in second twice, seventh, fourth and sixth. The NCAA Southeast Regional meet is planned for Friday, Nov. 12.

The men’s tennis team opened their fall tournament season on Oct. 1 at the College of Charleston Team Invite. They have since competed in the Intercollegiate College Association (ITA) Regionals, the Furman Hidden Duals and they concluded the fall season at the SoCon Fall Championship. 

Mark Endler ‘25 and Will Fullett ‘24 made it to semifinals in main doubles draw; additionally,  Endler also made it to the main draw semifinals. Ashe Ray ‘24 made it to the main draw finals but was defeated.

The women’s tennis team opened their season a bit earlier than the men’s on Sept. 17 at the Coastal Carolina Invite. Since then, they have competed in the ITA Regionals, the Wofford Invite and ended their fall season with the SoCon Fall Championship. 

Lily Woods ‘25 finished third in singles draw. Woods also teamed up with Georgia Fischer ‘23 to take home a third-place spot in the open doubles draw.

The Wofford men’s golf team opened up on Sept. 12 at the Golfweek Fall Challenge. They have since competed in the JT Poston Invitational, Carolina Collegiate Invitational, Wolfpack Intercollegiate and Grandover Collegiate tournaments. 

The women’s team also opened on Sept. 12 at the Golfweek Fall Challenge. They went on to play at the Lady Paladin Invite, Buccaneer Classic and the Terrier Intercollegiate. 

Most recently, both basketball teams opened up their seasons with a home game on Nov. 9. The men’s team certainly showed out, shutting down Bob Jones University with a score of 117-79. 

The women’s team opened their season against College of Charleston, the final score being 80-48 in College of Charleston’s favor. The top scorer of the night for the men’s team was Max Klesmit ‘24 with 23 points, while the women’s top scorer was Lilly Hatton ‘23 with 12 points. 

$0
$500