The Bohemian tells a Wofford comeback story

Photo by Paulina Veremchuk. A collection of copies of The Bohemian throughout the years.

Article written by Carson Maske, contributing writer.

The Bohemian serves as the Wofford yearbook, and its first publication was  in 1908-1909. Throughout the years, The Bohemian documents the Wofford student experience on campus. As an expression of the year of a student’s life on campus, clubs, campus activities, typical yearbook portraits and much more are included. 

Beyond this, The Bohemian functions  as a two-part work, containing a selection of student-created literature, poetry and pictures, which allows for not only students’ photographs to be included, but also students’ words to be remembered. 

The duty of creating and curating a vessel to hold our memories belongs to Marisa Barrera ‘22 and her staff. Barrera, editor in chief of The Bohemian, works throughout the year with her staff on this year’s copy. 

“This year my concept isn’t really a catchphrase but a simple theme of what wofford is and what wofford represents,” Barrera said. “Really, school spirit is my goal.” 

In terms of developing a theme, which is usually present in issues of The Bohemian, Barrera is seeking to encapsulate the apparent return to normalcy that this academic year has brought, with the worst of the COVID-19 pandemic seemingly in the past.

“This year feels like a normal semester, especially for junior(s) and senior(s),” Barrera said. “For the stories of it, it’s the first time this thing is happening in two years, so I want to have a more narrative focus. I also want a…balance of photos. Things are happening again. We had homecoming this year…we had 2000 people on campus (and) that’s interesting.” 

Interestingly, it is common that art is affected by the time it exists in. Why would our own Wofford yearbook be any different? 

While Wofford’s COVID situation continues to turn for the better, one can’t help to think how we’ll look back on these moments. Some might see troubling times, some might see great times, but it’s who we are that matters. It’s how we live that gives us life. 

It’s how we live that gives art, the very art that we’ll cherish one day when our time at Wofford is a far memory, power. Then, we will be able to thank Barrera and her staff for telling the story of both the times and the people that made that time so special.

Barrera summarized it perfectly: “It’s a comeback story. It’s who we are.”

$0
$500