Hurley reflects on her time as dean of students

Photo courtesy of Mark Olencki. Pictured is Robera Hurley, Wofford College’s eighth Dean of Students. In July, Hurley will transition to be Vice President for Administration and Secretary to the Board of Trustees.

On Feb. 17, the President’s Office announced that Dean of Students Roberta Hurley will be moving into her fifth position at Wofford in July. Hurley will be ending her 27 year tenure as Dean of Student  and transitioning to the Vice President for Administration and Secretary to the Board of Trustees positions. 

There are few people who know Wofford College’s campus, students, alumni, staff and logistics better than Hurley. As one of the first women to attend the college and the first woman to serve as Dean of Students, Hurley has seen Wofford through more milestones, challenges and triumphs than most could imagine. 

“I do not know anyone at Wofford who has been more committed to the college than Dean Hurley,” said Brand Stille, the vice president for enrollment at Wofford College. 

The spirit of a college most surely comes from its student body, and Hurley understands this unlike any other. As Dean of Students, she has worked to uplift her students and give them the most opportunities she can. 

“She is constantly thinking of ways that students can be more informed, listened to, and respected on our campus,” Wofford College Campus Union President Dylan Goshorn said. 

Hurley’s job has not come without challenges, but she has taken all of them with grace. She has enjoyed teachable moments and, overall, sees her position as one more apt for the development and support of the students rather than condemnation. 

“Some faculty and staff would say to me, ‘I could never do your job,’ or ‘You have the most challenging job on campus.’ Fortunately, that was not how I viewed it,” Hurley said. “Getting to work with students, meeting their parents and other families, following their careers, attending their weddings and sometimes grieving with them, has given me a life full of blessings.”

Whether it be in her kind greetings to students around campus, her constant presence and availability to the Wofford community or simply her outstanding reputation among present and past students, Hurley’s passion for the Wofford community is evident. 

“I believe Dean Hurley’s biggest contribution to our campus is her unconditional care and support that she has for Wofford students,” Goshorn said. “While Campus Union members may spend closer time with her, there is without a doubt from my everyday conversations with her that her main mission is to support and improve the student experience.”

Dean Hurley’s favorite memories as dean of students are all of the moments where she was able to personally interact with her students, which is an exemplification of her passion. She fondly recalled hosting countless Christmas parties, jumping in the fountain with students and even hearing the music from band parties at the Stewart H. Johnson Greek Village on the weekends. 

Preeminently, the impact that Hurley has made on individual students will certainly not be forgotten. Jack Stomberger ‘23 was one of Hurley’s many FYI students, and he has always been struck by her willingness to allow students to interact with her in a less academic and more personal setting.

“After spending so much time with her, I have learned the most about balance,” Stomberger said. “I have seen how to instill being serious when necessary but also kind and light-hearted when the time allows.”

Hurley is looking forward to this new opportunity, and she will surely bring the same kindness, work ethic and positivity to her new position. 

“I am excited about starting a new role at Wofford. It will be my fifth position here,” Hurley said. “I trust it will be a positive way to end my professional career here.” 

With her constant positive outlook, persistent work ethic and compassionate disposition Dean Hurley will surely have success in this new position. 

There is an ongoing national job search to determine the next dean of students for Wofford College. 

$0
$500