Ten exit signs destroyed in Shipp Hall during Interim 

Photo courtesy of Dori Heldreth. One of the damaged exit signs in Shipp Residence Hall. Vandalism in Shipp has escalated this semester to the point of all residents receiving fines.

On Feb. 2, Seth Flanagan ’18, Residence Life Coordinator, sent an email regarding damaged exit signs in Shipp Hall. The email was a response to the ten exit signs that had been destroyed in the sophomore residence hall since the beginning of Interim.

The email disclosed information regarding the financial costs of replacing the exit signs. It also stated that if an individual or group of individuals was not identified then the fines would be split among the entirety of students living in the residence hall.

However, no one came forward or was held responsible. The vandalism continued to such a high level that, on Feb. 15, a mandatory meeting was held for all students living in the residence hall.

Students were encouraged to send any information on the vandalism to the Office of Residence Life. Additionally, a silent witness form was sent out for anyone who wishes to remain anonymous in reporting any vandalism.

Allen Lollis ‘15, assistant dean of students for residence life and community standards, expressed immense disappointment in the way students have been treating the college’s property.

“All students are expected to follow the college’s Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities, which requires students to respect each other and our campus,” Lollis said. “We should all commit to creating an environment where our peers and colleagues know that those values are upheld.”

Lollis claimed that, in addition to the damages causing a mass amount of financial costs, they have also led to staff having to spend more time fixing damages than doing their normal day-to-day responsibilities.

Some have complained that the charge being spread among the students that live in Shipp does not seem fair, as it was only a handful of students that likely caused the damage. However, the Wofford College Student Handbook states that if the person responsible is not found, “the cost to replace or repair the damages will be divided equally between the residents of the hallway or in the building.”

Last year, when there was vandalism in Richardson Hall, a similar email was sent to students. It highlighted the damage and how if no one came forward a fee would be split among all the students who lived on the second floor. No charge was ever sent.

Some students have started locking their doors in response to the fear that the people vandalizing the hall will break or steal things in their rooms.

Daniel Murphy ’24, one of the resident assistants in Shipp Hall, claims that the actions that these select few students are taking are driving a wedge between administration and students.

Additionally, Murphy believes it will cause a divide in the students. 

“The vandalism has been having a big impact on our hall’s community and the mutualism between one another,” Murphy said. 

He is hopeful that the people who continue to damage the building stop so that things can return back to normal.

As of now, there has been no further update from Residence Life on the situation. No fees have been sent out to the residents of Shipp Hall. A report is expected soon letting students know if the culprit was caught or if the fee will be split among the residents.

$0
$500