A guide to Wofford’s surrounding community

Pictured is the clock tower located in Downtown Spartanburg. Downtown Spartanburg serves as a great spot for finding local restaurants. Photo by Anna Lee Hoffman.

While the big chains like Domino’s, Target, McDonald’s and Walmart are part of the early first year experience, many of Spartanburg’s local places and businesses remain hidden until later into the school year.

Starbucks

While this may be a chain, Wofford has two Starbucks locations within walking distance from campus. The one often forgotten is adjacent to the campus at 805 N Pine St.

The other is downtown on West Main Street and offers a punch card for students. The punch card offers a free drink after five punches, a remarkable deal compared to the Starbucks App’s 150 star system.

Little River Coffee Bar and Pharmacy Coffee

Both owned by Little River Roasting Company, these two coffee shops are located in the downtown area.

Pharmacy offers pastries along with coffee, kombucha, specialty lattes and teas.

Little River offers coffees, smoothies, lattes, and some other specialty and seasonal drinks.

Both stores share a punch card; “Buy 10 cups, get the 11th FREE!”

Spill the Beans

Situated downtown, this cafe serves both a mix of coffee-based drinks and ice cream. A favorite Wofford study spot, Spill the Beans is open seven days a week, Monday through Saturday 6:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. Sundays.

Following the trends, this cafe also holds its own punch card in which the eleventh coffee or ice cream order is free.

Monarch Cafe

Just a half mile from campus is Monarch Cafe. Located at the Northside Farmers Market, it is open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturdays. They serve a variety of breakfast and lunch foods and take Terrier Bucks.

Kingston Homestyle Kitchen

This small restaurant offers Jamaican food whose menu consists of an entree and two sides. Entree options include oxtail, jerk chicken, fish and chicken as well as many others.

Burrito Hub

This popular spot for Wofford Students is a half mile away from campus on Magnolia street. Happy hour is 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. The restaurant offers an assortment of nachos, burritos, tacos, and quesadillas.

“The affordable prices allow Burrito Hub to cater toward college students,” said Hugo Montanez, restaurant owner.

Delaney’s

Spartanburg’s iconic downtown Irish Pub is also a Wofford student favorite restaurant. They serve many typical bar appetizers as well as both Irish and American entrees.

Fr8yard
Downtown Spartanburg’s popular open-air bar, Fr8yard offers foods ranging from traditional bar appetizers, chicken on a stick and smash burgers. It also serves vegetarian and vegan alternatives for bratwursts.

They often hire bands to play and as well as host movie nights and watch parties for major sporting events.

Pokenori

Many people opt for the “make-your-own” burrito or poke bowl option, but they also have a variety of signature dishes. The restaurant also offers a large variety of bubble teas.

Monsoon Noodle House

Serving dishes from many different East Asian cultures, Monsoon is a favorite for many Wofford students for ramen, pho, fried rice, stir fry and bubble teas.

Burgär

One of the newest restaurants downtown, here you can get many American appetizers, an assortment of specialty burgers, wraps and salads.

Montanez is also the restaurant owner for Burgär and is excited for how the road closure in Mor-
gan Square will bring many people, including college students, to the restaurant.

Mezcal

A Mexican Fusion restaurant, Mezcal offers Tex Mex and Mexican dishes, tacos, tapas and more.

Cribb’s Kitchen

One of the local restaurants to take terrier bucks, Cribb’s Kitchen offers many classic southern dishes along with different styles of burgers, sandwiches and an assortment of desserts.

Blue Moon Specialty Foods

Both a restaurant and a food market Blue Moon offers affordable breakfast and lunch options in an assortment of sandwiches, bowls and stews.

Their market sells many seasonings and sauces as well as pimento cheese, ready made meals and baked goods.

The business will soon be moving to a location closer to campus, according to store owners.

Small Cakes

Across from Cribb’s, Small Cakes offers a variety of signature cupcakes and “cupcake infused ice cream”.

Rocky Moo

Next to Groucho’s on Main St., this ice cream shop offers a variety of ice cream flavors in the form of sandwiches, shakes, with a cookie and brownie or in a cup or cone.

The hook for this ice cream parlor is that you get to build your own ice cream concoction.

Hub City Scoops

Further down E. Main St., Hub City Scoops offers scooped ice cream, ice cream cakes, ice cream flights, milkshakes, malts and more.

Hub City Bookstore

Adjacent to Little River Coffee Bar, Hub City Bookstore is Spartanburg’s only downtown bookstore.

Selling both new and used books, they sell a variety of genres from fiction, poetry, history, science fiction, philosophy and children’s books.

$0
$500