A variety of events highlights what Wofford means

Wofford Activities Council, The Office of Campus Life and Student Activities, the Career Center and other organizations teamed up to plan a successful and event-filled 2022 Homecoming Week.

Wofford Activities Council Terrier Traditions Committee Leader Grace deMaine ‘25 was largely responsible for planning homecoming week.

“It is a lot of hard work but I loved seeing everyone enjoy the events we had planned. I had a great committee helping me as well which was so fun,” deMaine said. “Overall, it was rewarding to see months of planning carried out.”

To kick off the week, Wofford Ac- tivities Council hosted trivia night on Oct. 24 in the Galleria. Students had the opportunity to participate in trivia categories such as name the song, random and Wofford facts for a chance to win prizes.

Matthew Shouse ‘23 and Georgia Fischer ’23 were hosts of the annual Mr. Wofford competition on

Tuesday Oct. 25. Categories such as swimwear, formal wear, interview and group dance truly allowed the contestants to showcase their per- sonalities.

Will Hammontree ‘23, Carson Har- rell ‘24, Isaiah Franco ‘23, Donavan Jones ‘24, Ellis Greene ‘24, Cannon Murray ‘25 and Deuce Miller ‘26 competed. Ultimately, Franco was crowned as the 2022 Mr. Wofford.

Franco was overjoyed to be crowned Mr. Wofford,

“It was really fun to be able to share (my poem) with so many people. Also representing OLAS was super special,” Franco said. “I was so happy to represent my organization, especially considering Latinx students have such a small presence on campus.”

Readers can read Franco’s poem on page 3.

On Oct. 26, Wofford Activities Council held the annual Homecoming Carnival in the Horseshoe. The carnival featured rides and games like a ferris wheel, high striker game and swings. Food trucks served festive treats like funnel cakes and food from Fuddruckers.

The Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, Career Center, Wofford Diversity Council Organizations and Minorities in STEM held the second annual Black, Indigenous and People of color brunch on Oct. 27.

The brunch, held on the lawn of the Meadors Multicultural AMS House, was an opportunity for BIPOC students to gather and discuss their ex- periences at Wofford.

Although most students tradition- ally associate homecoming week with football, the Wofford men’s and women’s basketball teams were a part of the festivities as well with their Terrier Tip off event on Thurs- day, Oct. 27. Students and fans were given the opportunity to get to know the teams better, win some prizes and enjoy some free food.

Wofford football matched up against Eastern Tennessee State University at Gibbs Stadium on Saturday Oct. 29. The Terriers pulled through 48-41, with their second win of the season and since the former coach resigned.

During halftime of Saturday’s foot- ball game, the 2022 Homecoming Court was presented. Sarah Owens ‘23 was crowned the 2022 Homecoming Queen by 2021 Queen Sopharvathdy Vorn ‘22.

“It has truly been more than an honor to have been chosen by my peers as this year’s Homecoming Queen. The final moments were so surreal as I have endeavored from day one on this fabled campus,” Owens said. “To not just be a part of Wofford, but to help make it better. To also have the support of my family and friends absolutely filled my heart with joy!”

Presented on the court were Hallie Dudley ‘23, representing Zeta Tau Alpha; Isabel Harlow ‘23, representing Kappa Delta; Sophie Broome ‘23, representing the Pre-Dental Society; Georgia Fischer ’23 representing Sigma Alpha Epsilon; Sarah Owens ‘23, representing Orientation Staff; Abbey Cook ‘23, representing Kappa Alpha Order; Kerrington John- son ‘23, representing Residence Life; Annalee Rodgers ‘23, representing Kappa Alpha Theta and Jillian Grimes ‘23, representing Pi Kappa Alpha.

Alumni and student tailgates were held by multiple Greek Life and cam- pus organizations before and during Saturday’s football game. Students were given the chance to reconnect with graduate friends, and alumni were once again reunited.

As deMaine describes, Wofford is more than your four years, and homecoming can be an accumulation of your experience:

“I think homecoming really shows Wofford’s community. It clearly goes beyond your four years of college and highlights what Wofford means to people.”

$0
$500