Wofford suspends Terrier Bucks contract of Spartanburg’s local business, Monarch Café and Fresh Food Store

Photo by Anna Lee Hoffman A new change in pace with the arrival of a new business to sponsor Terrier Bucks for students on the go. Moe’s BBQ has signed its contract with AVI and Wofford.

According to Campus Union President Thomas Cuttino ‘23, as the first semester comes to a close at Wofford College, much is coming and many bills are being passed through Campus Union. 

“The renovations for the new bookstore as well as the new food places across the street are supposed to be done after Thanksgiving break,” Cuttino said. 

One of the alterations to the campus includes Terrier Bucks. Previously, students’ Terrier Bucks could be spent at Monarch Café. 

Due to financial needs to support the college in the original contract not being met, their agreement was retracted by business administration authorities. 

Owner of Monarch Café, Liberty Canzater, was shocked at the news of their contract being taken away with such little notice. 

“No notification was given to me about the Terrier Bucks; all of a sudden one day, the students’ IDs were reporting an error on the machine as they were eating at our facility,” Canzater said.

Canzater later called the school to find out the news about the Terrier Bucks and how many students vouched to frequent the new eateries in The Hub coming to the Northside community. 

“We have been with Wofford since the very beginning of the Terrier Bucks,” Canzater said. 

Though this change in the system will surely decrease revenue for Canzater and Monarch Café’s business, Canzater is hopeful for the future. 

With Monarch Café’s affiliation being in the past, Moe’s BBQ has signed a contract with Wofford College. Students will be able to spend Terrier Bucks there after the renovations of the building are complete. 

The highly anticipated Moe’s BBQ will be located in The Hub, along with the new Wofford bookstore.

The other off-campus options for dining on Terrier Bucks include Lime Leaf, Cribbs Kitchen, Papa Johns and RJ Rockers. Such few places on the list available to students leave many of them with questions and suggestions. 

Director of business services and risk management Daniel Deeter heads the distribution and use of Terrier Bucks. Deeter gets many messages about the limitation of only 5 places being available for Terrier Bucks use. 

“Our contract with AVI limits the number of off-campus locations that accept Terrier Bucks to five because AVI loses income on these sites, so that we might provide options for students to support the local business community,” Deeter said. 

Students also approach Deeter with questions involving why persons of legal age cannot purchase alcohol with their issued Terrier Bucks.

“Regarding the alcohol restriction, these are meal plan dollars and as such are required to be used for food and not beverages,” said Deeter. 

The novelty of Terrier Bucks is not only beneficial for the student, but it also supports the surrounding community and all that its local businesses offer students. 

Any more questions involving Terrier Bucks can be asked using Deeter’s email [email protected] or by making a visit to the business department in the Snyder House, located on Campus Drive. 

More coming announcements and bills passed by Campus Union will be published soon to alert the campus and its constituents of upcoming changes to life here at Wofford.

$0
$500