Miss Wofford Pageant gives contestants an opportunity to build platforms that reach into the surrounding communities

Photo by Hailey Hirter Promise Henry ‘25 poses with her Miss Wofford crown. She will be giving the title to a new recipient on Apr. 16.

Set for the evening of Apr. 16 at 6 p.m. in Leonard Auditorium, Wofford College will host its first ever “Miss Wofford Pageant.” Many surrounding universities have collegiate pageants and Wofford was ready to get on board. 

Promise Henry ‘25 started the conversation concerning Miss Wofford and is the current title holder. She is also the founder of the Terrier Formal Wear Closet on campus, which helps many students obtain donated formal clothing. 

Henry got many faculty members, such as Assistant Dean of Students Ashley Owens and Director of Student Activities Talicia Murphy, involved in the process. 

Henry was able to collect a total of five judges needed for the pageant that are certified through the Miss South Carolina Scholarship Organization, Inc. Ben Branhall will be the pageants’ M.C., and Associate Professor of Accounting Jenny Bem will be the auditor for the competition.  

The pageant is available for all students on campus no matter their age, and “so far everything is on schedule and I have had 25 girls sign up for the pageant,” Henry said.

The pageant will begin with an opening number, which consists of all the contestants learning a choreographed routine together, so practices for the big day will be underway once a set number of students have signed-up.

The second round of the competition will be known as “Wofford Wear,” in which the contestants will have a chance to show their school pride in a way of their choosing to the audience and judges. 

The individual interviews will be around five to eight minutes for each contestant and place emphasis on the students talking about their accomplishments and what they would do with their title for the Spartanburg and Wofford communities. 

“Interview is always my favorite aspect of pageants, because it is truly your only chance to show the judges your personality and prove to them that you are the best candidate for the job,” said Jenna Hollis ‘26.

The contestants will be able to build their platforms from this experience as well as meet many others that have the same interests. 

The last round will be an evening gown round, in which the contestants can choose a gown of their choice to command the stage. There is also a service and scholastic category, which is twenty percent of the contestants overall score. 

The contestants will be expected to turn in a sheet to the judges that “has questions regarding their involvement inside and outside of Wofford, leadership roles they have held and why they believe they are fit to be the next Miss Wofford,” Henry said.

For students like Tytajha Robinson ‘24, this pageant means a lot more than just a crown or scholarship. 

“I am hoping that, regardless of the outcome of the pageant, I will inspire other women of color at Wofford, as well as future students of color to participate in events such as this,” Robinson said.

Henry will have the honor of crowning Miss Wofford ‘23 at the conclusion of the event. There will be a second runner-up, a first runner-up and the winner of Miss Wofford. 

The Miss Wofford recipient will receive a monetary prize for their efforts that will go straight to financial aid to go towards their tuition. None of the money will be able to be pocketed by the recipient, because the sole purpose of it is to help pay for their education. 

“Campus Union agreed in the fall they would give a $1000 prize to the winner; however I would want to increase this amount in future years,” Henry said. 

Tickets will be on sale at 5 p.m. on Apr. 16 in front of Old Main. They will be $15 each for all guests.

Gabby Gecan, staff writer

$0
$500