The Amazon locker offers Wofford students a new way of receiving their packages

Photo+by+Caroline+Parker+-%0AThe+new+Amazon+locker+on+campus.+The+new+locker+will+allow+students+to+pick+up+their+packages+outside+of+the+campus+post+office+hours.+
Photo by Caroline Parker – The new Amazon locker on campus. The new locker will allow students to pick up their packages outside of the campus post office hours.

Recently, the addition of an Amazon locker to the Wofford post office has given students a new, convenient method of picking up their Amazon packages. The locker was put in by Amazon on Jan. 20, 2023.

Previously, all student packages would be delivered to the mailroom to be sorted by the post office staff, meaning that students would be restricted to picking up their packages during the hours of 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekdays.

The Amazon locker provides another option by allowing customers to ship their packages directly there, giving students whose schedules may not work with the campus post office a flexible option.

The locker, named Kylan, can be used by entering the school’s address under the pickup location option and selecting the correct locker.

After the package has been sent to the locker, it can be picked up by entering the pickup code onto the screen or scanning the barcode, both of which are sent in the delivery confirmation email. The locker is available for use Monday through Sunday, from the hours of 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Despite the ease this is supposed to create for students, the locker has caused some students difficulty. Sarah Greenlee ‘24 had her package shipped to the locker because it was the only way to get her items by the time she needed them.

However, she ran into several issues while using the Amazon app to ship her package. Although she knows that people have successfully sent their packages to the locker, for her, the site always claims that the locker has not been set up.

“People have gotten items there so I know that it’s set up, but it can’t take 75% of stuff from Amazon,”Greenlee said. “So I’m a little frustrated with that because it seems like everything that I want from Amazon cannot be brought to Kylan.”

Instead of being able to conveniently pick up her package at the Kylan locker in Mungo, she instead had to ship it to the Drayton Amazon locker and pick up her items there. Other students seem to have been lucky and not run into the same issues.

According to Delia Patel, the postal manager of Wofford’s post office, the student response she’s received has been overwhelmingly positive.

For Patel and other post office staff, the Amazon locker has not affected much of their day-to-day schedules, as the post office is still open during their regular hours to work with packages and to assist any students with questions or troubles.

With the locker only available for Amazon packages, it has only taken a small portion of their usual workload away. Still, Patel had nothing but positive to say about the new locker.

“I really like the locker because it helps the students and their schedules by giving them an option if they can’t get to the post office during normal hours to still pick up a package that they might need 24/7,” Patel said.

$0
$500