Purple Scarf Society begins second year under new leadership

Zoe Kloth, Lauren Cabe and Peyton Proffitt, Purple Scarf Society’s newest directors are excited for the organization’s second year of empowering Wofford women.
IMPACT & LAUNCH COMPETITION PRIZE-WINNING PROJECT AIMS TO REACH WOFFORD WOMEN —

As far as professional development goes, junior Katherine Buchanan believes that many students hesitate to explore the realm of professionalism as underclassmen – especially the women of Wofford. This is why the Purple Scarf Society became Buchanan’s project for The Space’s Impact & Launch Competition last year.

After placing second in the Impact division, Buchanan says the four-week program enjoyed great success in its first year, and the officers are hopeful that this year will be no different.

One difference, however, is that the program will be running without its founder and executive director. Buchanan is studying abroad this semester, and in her place, three directors have stepped up to help the program thrive: Peyton Proffitt, director of programming; Lauren Cabe, director of communications; and Zoe Kloth, director of events. Other than increasing the number of participants, the officers hope to hold true to Buchanan’s original project, with no major changes to the program.

The Purple Scarf Society is not the typical extracurricular club with weekly meetings throughout the year – it is a program. Beginning in early October, there will be a series of four weekly meetings in which participants will develop resumes, think about what it means to be a woman in the professional world and consider how best to approach the job market. The program culminates with a networking event designed exclusively for program participants, featuring women from various professional fields.

Kloth says that “[the program builds] on what students would get if they went to The Space, but it’s unique because it’s student- led. Students get to practice those skills by teaching them.”

The peer-to-peer teaching happens in small groups, which are mostly led by students who have already gone through the program. This structure “reinforces what you learned in your FYI class freshman year, and the many questions that you might have developed since then are addressed,” says Kloth.

She adds that this format is also part of what makes the learning process and the idea of professional development less intimidating for participants. Another highlight of the program is a trip to Ann Taylor in Greenville to practice both inter- view and workplace attire.

“[The program was] recommended to me after I came to Jennifer Dillenger (The Space) bemoaning the struggles of writing resumes and applying for an internship,” says Cabe, who now “dream[s] of a career in marketing or advertising.” Cabe and the other officers are thrilled to be sharing what they have learned from the program with more Wofford women.

All the components of the program serve to better prepare the participants for the professional world, whatever the major or long- term plans of the student. Cabe believes “this organization is a fabulous way for women to learn how to most successfully market themselves,” and in her opinion, the most valuable thing the program can offer a Wofford woman is both “confidence and the skills to articulate how valuable she is in her career field.”

To join, students should watch their emails for the upcoming interest meeting or email any of the officers directly. At the heart of the project is the belief that all Wofford women will benefit from this program, so all students are encouraged to join (from fresh- men to seniors) no matter what major(s), interests, or career paths. As Kloth says, “It’s fun, and it can only help.”

— Sarah Madden

$0
$500