Dispelling the Myths about Fierce Green Fire

Fierce++Green++Fire++has++a++significant++role++in++the++recycling++program+implemented+at+football+games+last+year+in+collaboration+with+Junk+Matters%2C+LLC.+The+project+requires+many+volunteers.+
Fierce Green Fire has a significant role in the recycling program implemented at football games last year in collaboration with Junk Matters, LLC. The project requires many volunteers.
WOFFORD’S SUSTAINABILITY CLUB HOPES TO CLEAR THE AIR —Fierce Green Fire is Wofford’s sustainability club “originally started by a group of students in order to promote sustainability in all its forms on campus,” says President Lena Williams. Its name comes from a key environmental text, in which Aldo Leopold watches “a fierce green fire” die from the eyes of a wolf he’s just shot.According to Williams, there has been much confusion about the club and its nature over the past few years, and much of it stems from a lack of publicity or attention. Today Williams addresses these misconceptions.

Myth One: Fierce Green Fire is the environmental studies department’s newsletter, which only circulates with- in the department, and therefore has no importance for anyone outside of environmental studies.This myth is not entirely wrong – “Fierce Green Fire” is the name of the environmental studies department newsletter. The two are not one entity, however. Williams says that the two have the same name because they were more closely linked in the past, but that as time went by, that connection dissolved.Myth Two: Fierce Green Fire is only for those in environmental studies.“Absolutely not!” says Williams, a biology and German double major. “We have a lot of majors represented, from English to French, psychology, or biology – anyone is welcome!” In reality, it is not uncommon to find fewer environmental majors than non-environmental majors at meetings, demonstrating what Williams refers to as the disconnect between the club and the department.Williams says part of bridging the gap is recruiting more environmental studies majors and minors, but Fierce Green Fire welcomes all Wofford students. “It doesn’t take much time out of your schedule, and it’s an easy way to help.”

Myth Three: Involvement in the club primarily includes attending boring meetings and lectures.

Yes, there are regular meetings, held on Monday nights at 8:30 p.m. in the Black Science Annex building, but Williams says they aren’t boring.

“Meetings are a good place to bounce around ideas and work towards getting awareness out there – it’s a lot of fun,” she says. But according to Williams, there are so many other ways to get involved. Volunteering at the various Glendale events, helping with the recycling program at football games, volunteering with (or running in) the annual Shoals Fun Run/5K at Glendale in the spring, etc. are critical to the organization as well. “Fierce Green Fire is planning on increasing its events this year, as is Glendale.” Translation: Fierce Green Fire needs more help!

From river cleanups to yoga at Glendale and from meetings to film festivals on campus, “Fierce Green Fire offers a lot more opportunities than people think. This is an option, and if you’re interested, we’re here!” says Williams.If you are interested in joining the club, volunteering with the recycling program or getting involved with improving sustainability on campus in any way, watch your daily announcements for specific events or contact Williams at [email protected] for more information.
— Sarah Madden

$0
$500