Miss Wofford Pageant returns to campus for its second year

Mark O’Lenki
Charlotte Barker ‘24 was named Miss Wofford in the 2023 Miss Wofford Pageant

Wofford College is gearing up for its second annual Miss Wofford Pageant. The participants are set to take the stage on Sunday, April 21, at 6 pm in the Leonard Auditorium. Preparations are currently underway to ensure a spectacular showcase of talent, grace and empowerment. 

Now in its second year, the pageant stands as a testament to the evolving landscape of the college, particularly in the commitment to celebrating and empowering our female community members.

Promise Henry ‘25 started this pageant last year and was initially inspired by the college’s transition from its historical roots as an all-male institution to its current demographic makeup. 

“Wofford had been known for decades as an all-male college. To date, there are now 52% women that attend Wofford,” remarked Henry. “What better way to display even more women empowerment than to have a scholarship pageant where we have ladies prove themselves on stage with their interview skills, talents and beauty, both inside and out, while representing our college as the next Miss Wofford.”

The Miss Wofford Pageant offers a platform for contestants to showcase their skills and charisma through various segments, including interviews, the Wofford Wear and evening gown portions, on-stage questions and a fun opening number. Participants are not required to have prior pageant experience. 

“Confidence is the most beautiful character trait a girl can have, and going into something new with an open mind is always good,” said Henry. “Pageants can be intimidating; however, they can bring a lot of opportunities for women, so it never hurts to step out of your comfort zone and give something new a try.”

Apart from the friendly competition, contestants gain invaluable experience with the chance to win the coveted title of Miss Wofford 2024 and a $1000 scholarship applied to their financial aid package. Additionally, awards such as 1st Runner-Up to Miss Wofford, People’s Choice, Miss Congeniality and Miss Photogenic are up for grabs, adding to the excitement of the event.

Charlotte Barker was the 2023 Miss Wofford. As the time comes to select her successor, she reflects on her experience competing for the title. 

“I absolutely loved competing in Miss Wofford, and I was able to meet and bond with so many amazing and impressive women! While competing, it was so much fun to show the judges my character, passions and goals through the both private interview and the on-stage portion of the competition,” said Barker. “When I heard my name called, I was shocked and incredibly honored. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to be a part of this organization, and I can’t wait to cheer on all of the wonderful women competing this year.”

Looking ahead to this year’s pageant, Henry expresses her desire to create a positive environment where contestants can support each other, have fun, and embrace their beauty and potential. This year’s pageant has 14 contestants and those involved are eager to see what they have to share with the Wofford community. 

In the coming years, Henry looks forward to continuing her work with the pageant, with her main goals being increasing participation and the scholarship award money as the years progress. Her once dream has now become a reality, and she plans to do great things with the event.    

Adding to the prestige of the event, this year’s Miss Wofford Pageant will be emceed by the current Miss South Carolina, Jada Samuel. Her presence at this year’s event adds an extra layer of excitement and encouragement for contestants. 

As the countdown begins for the Miss Wofford Pageant 2024, anticipation is high for an evening of empowerment, camaraderie and the celebration of the remarkable women who embody the spirit of Wofford College. Tickets will be sold soon. 

$0
$500