Headshot of Kristy Hammett. Hammett will join Wofford’s education department next year as assistant professor.

Wofford College’s education department has been a one woman show since the late Ed Welchel, former chair and professor of education, retired in 2021. Since then, Senior Instructor of Education Christie Johnson has been the only education faculty member and has run the department solo. 

Johnson has seen much growth in the department even in these past three years, with the rapid growth of class sizes, the beginning of an education minor and the new partnership with Converse University for an MAT. Now, she is excited to announce another aspect of growth: a new colleague. 

Kristy Hammett, associate professor of education and education student teaching coordinator at North Greenville University, will join the Wofford College education department in the fall 2024 semester as the newest assistant professor of education.

Though she loved her time at North Greenville University, she is ready to work closer to home and eager to be a Terrier. 

“I want to learn from Johnson and her teaching, and I think it is going to be a great opportunity for me to collaborate with such a dynamic leader, growing from her and learning together,” Hammett said. “I think we can make a great team and really serve our community.”

“I love Spartanburg and have lived here for two years, so I am excited to serve the schools in Spartanburg. I am also eager to work at such an academically prestigious school as Wofford, where the students are so dedicated to their craft. I align with its mission and values and am excited to grow and to serve and to learn here.”

Currently, Johnson is teaching five courses at full capacity, teaching a total of approximately 130 unique students each semester. With Hammett joining the team, there is hope that they can spend some of their time continuing to expand the opportunities within the department. 

Johnson specifically hopes to be able to offer students with more field experiences and is grateful to have a new hire whose specialization is with younger students, as that will give those interested in early childhood and elementary education a direct connection. 

There are currently 60 students minoring in education, with an additional 20 graduating last year. Johnson said that this is far more than she could have ever imagined for the department. Even though it comes with long lists of potential overrides, she believes her education minors are a great blessing. 

“I’ve been one of the lucky ones when it comes to getting into classes,” said Abby Ellett ’24, an education minor. “The classes fill up quickly because people are interested in the topics, and everyone loves Mrs. Johnson. I’m hopeful that the addition of the new professor can allow students to get into the department!” 

Several of the education minors were present when Hammett taught her mock lesson to Johnson’s educational psychology class.

“She seems like she is enthusiastic about her job,” said Aubrey White ’25, who was present for the mock lesson. “I think it will be different. Johnson is the education department, so not having her in each and every education class will be a new adventure for the department.” 

Luckily for students who are a fan of Johnson’s teaching style and personality, there is hope that the two will be similar, and not just in the sharing of a first name. 

“What I noticed the second that she interviewed was that her and I share the same heart for students and for education, 100%,” said Johnson. “And I am so looking forward to having a colleague in the department, someone I can actually work with to grow some of the areas that I would still like to grow.

“You’ve got to have that heart for students and education to continue the mission we have, and I know she is going to do that exceedingly well.”

Hammett says that she teaches primarily through project-based learning, field experiences, collaborative learning and field trips. This is similar to the setup that Johnson has created for each of her education classes, which will hopefully allow for a smooth transition as Hammett takes over some of Johnson’s courses. 

“I am so excited to working for and collaborating with someone who has a dynamic vision and wants Wofford to be successful,” Hammett said. “I respect (Johnson) so much and am counting down the days to when I get to work with her.” 

$0
$500