An ode to the Class of 2024: You made it!

Students+Walton+Jolly+%E2%80%9824+and+Sadie+Saunders+%E2%80%9824+join+their+class+for+their+class+photo.%0AThe+senior+class+photo%2C+like+those+that+line+the+walls+of+the+Mungo+student+center%2C+is+one+of+Wofford%E2%80%99s+Commencement+traditions.+
Caroline Parker
Students Walton Jolly ‘24 and Sadie Saunders ‘24 join their class for their class photo. The senior class photo, like those that line the walls of the Mungo student center, is one of Wofford’s Commencement traditions.

As the 2023-2024 academic year comes to a close, Wofford’s seniors prepare for their final moments as Terriers. For many members of the Class of 2024, a group uniquely impacted by many challenges across their time at Wofford, their graduation takes on a meaning beyond merely commencing their undergraduate studies.

“We’re celebrating something great we did,” said Meg Matthews ‘24. “But we’ve also all grown and had to face our own challenges, so I feel like commencement is a way to step back and really take a look at everything we’ve been able to overcome in just four years.”

In addition to the already difficult adjustment to college life, the Class of 2024 was burdened by many COVID-19 precautions and mandates upon their arrival, limiting many of the key social experiences typical to Wofford first-years.

Despite these difficulties, Sadie Saunders ‘24 said that their class took these restrictions as a motivation to “(make) up for lost time” and believes that they were able to make the most of their years at Wofford in spite of their atypical freshman experience. 

In light of these experiences or lack thereof, the Class of 2024 received a special recreation of a beloved orientation event that was logistically impossible under COVID-19 restrictions: Camp Greystone. Greystone staff came to campus on May 1 to recreate the event, still complete with the classic steak dinner.

Dean of Students and Vice President of Campus Life and Student Development Beth Wallace, expressed her excitement about “bringing Greystone” to the Class of 2024 in consideration of their difficult first year, but she also complimented the group’s ability to thrive under such circumstances.

“To me, resiliency is how I would define this group,” said Wallace. “Because (of) what they went through their first year… and they still came through as a phenomenal group of student leaders with impressive academic achievements. They can accomplish anything in life they set their minds and hearts to do.”

Regardless of their beginning to college life, the Class of 2024 were unwilling to let potential opportunities go to waste, leaving behind many notable accomplishments, both collectively and individually. 

“Being active on campus kind of shaped me,” said Madi Fike ‘24. “The people around me really lifted me up and encouraged me to do things that I was interested in.”

Fike, who will be moving to work on Capitol Hill following graduation, credits much of her ability to discover her career path to opportunities like Interim and close relationships with her professors within the government department.

Saunders, who will be attending Belmont University’s Occupational Therapy program, also recognizes the influence of Wofford’s structure on her post-graduation plans.

“I truthfully wouldn’t be pursuing this career path without Wofford,” said Saunders, “But it was through the experiences that I got to have because of Wofford that I realized that there actually is a career that combines everything I want to do.”

Alongside their professional and academic endeavors, the Class of 2024 also leaves behind many valuable achievements stemming from time outside of the classroom. 

“The biggest lessons I’ve learned haven’t come from the classroom; they’ve come from the social relationships and opportunities I’ve gotten to have,” said Saunders.

As for graduation itself, Saunders finds the ceremony to be “very symbolic” of the students and environment of the College, as the seniors accept their diplomas on the lawn of Old Main.

Fike added that Wofford’s graduation traditions “(express) how much pride everyone has at this school.”

The Class of 2024 tells a story of resiliency highlighted by their accomplishments and attitudes during an uncertain and unique time for Wofford’s campus and community.

“(The Class of 2024) deserves the best graduation we can give them,” said Dean Wallace. “I’m excited to enjoy that with them.”

Through and through, the Class of 2024’s experience embellishes one of Wofford’s greatest strengths: a community consisting of relationships between students and between faculty and staff.

“I just feel like the community here, it’s hard to find and it’s hard to replace,” said Matthews.

$0
$500