In Defense of DACA

By: Chandler Compton, Contributing Writer

On October 23rd, the Campus Union passed a resolution in support of Wofford students impacted by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. DACA is a law signed by President Obama in 2012 which provided a period of deferment from deportation actions for individuals who entered the United States as children without immigration documentation. The resolution came in response to President Donald Trump’s September 2017 decision to sign a policy terminating the program within a six month period.

Proposed by President Drake McCormick ‘18 and his cabinet, the resolution holds that “the 2017-2018 Campus Union Assembly stands in support of all students, especially students to whom the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program applies, as recognized, cared for, and valued members of the Wofford community.” The resolution states that “the Campus Union exists to support and serve the student body of Wofford College” and the assembly strives to “collectively support what is right and honorable for all members of the Wofford community.”

The proposal was met with disagreement among many members of the assembly. Several stated their concern that the resolution makes an irresponsible political statement. They communicated their belief that the school should inform students of major issues, but refrain from making political statements on behalf of the college.

Supporters of the proposal expressed their belief that the Campus Union holds a responsibility to represent the entirety of the student body, regardless of political ramifications. While some may disagree with the resolution politically, they want all students affected by DACA’s termination to know that the Campus Union stands by them.

Ultimately, the resolution passed. President McCormick reminded the assembly that the resolution’s passing not only supports those across campus affected by the law but also confirms that the Campus Union will continue to spark conversations on campus. Several members of the assembly maintained that such discussion is in the spirit of a liberal-arts education and is necessary and healthy when conducted responsibly.

Dean Bigger substituted her weekly Dean’s Report with support for the assembly’s responsible handling of discord. “If you never speak with people who disagree with you, you will never expand your own world,” she stated. Bigger continued, “all of you will graduate into a very diverse world. Your values and beliefs need to be questioned.”

Parliamentarian Jack Sullivan ‘20 reminded the assembly, “Wofford is a multitude of voices, not a dominant majority.” He went on to quote James Madison from Federalist 10. “Liberty is to faction what air is to fire, an aliment without which it instantly expires,” he recited. Sullivan hoped to emphasize the importance of engaging in discourse and cultivating a safe environment for Wofford students to express their opinions.

Campus Union’s October 23rd meeting also saw the passing of a proposal for the creation of an Ad Hoc Wellness and Safety Committee. Both Officer Saar of Campus Safety and Lisa Lefebvre of the Wellness Center voiced their interest to open more direct lines of communication with students. They are interested in facilitating a more community-based atmosphere between students and their respective offices.

The president and his cabinet attended meetings with Wofford’s Board of Trustees in October and reported their findings to the assembly on October 23rd. The board approved a 4.5% tuition increase, up from the 4.25% increase that students experienced last year. The board also discussed their plans to put the $500,000 grant Wofford received from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation earlier this year towards the revamp of Wofford’s general education system.

October 30th marked another busy day for the assembly as four new proposals were passed.

Following the recent recharter of the Black Student Union, Campus Union approved the funding of the organization’s first campus-wide event on Saturday, November 4th. The group hopes to enhance diversity, dialogue, and inclusion around campus.

Assembly members voted to support World Kindness Day by funding the purchase of KIND snack bars to be passed out to students on November 13th. Other passing proposals on October 30th included the allocation of funds to bring Linda Parker to campus and the funding for the purchase of a new Campus Union banner.

View Comments (1)
$0
$500