The show must not go on

By: Abbey Brasington, contributing writer
The circus wasn’t just coming to town, it was coming within shouting distance of
Wofford — acrobats, three rings, clowns, cotton candy, peanuts… Wait! And animals abused for public entertainment.
Dr. Dawn McQuiston, associate professor of psychology, began organizing a protest with Compassion Works International and Wofford’s Paws for a Cause as soon as she heard, and she offered me and other Wofford students an opportunity to get involved as well. I was thrilled.
The goal was for the protest to be both peaceful and educational – to raise awareness for animal abuse and mistreatment that is found widely throughout the circus. Although I had never participated in a protest before, I have always been passionate about the mistreatment of animals (I have dogs and cats and can’t bear the thoughts of them being mistreated). This was an opportunity to explore that passion and to stand for those who can’t necessarily stand out for themselves. Going into the protest, I didn’t really know what to expect. I wasn’t sure how people would react. I was definitely out of my comfort zone, but I was excited at the same time.
We stood on the sidewalk at the intersection of Memorial Drive and Church Street outside Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium. We gave out informational flyers and coloring books to the children. We held large posters. As people walked by, their reactions varied. Some people were angry with us. One woman took a flyer then brought it back asking us why we weren’t protesting the abuse that child actors face. One lady said we should be ashamed for scaring children. (Have you seen me? I’m the least scary person I know.) Some people were proud, honking their horns at us and giving us thumbs up signs as they passed. One child read a poster and said, “Dad, that says they mistreat animals in the circus. Is that true?
The dad looked at him and said “Yeah.” Then kept walking in. Lots of parents used it as an opportunity to talk to their children about protests and circuses and
the different ways of looking at an issue. Some people were neutral, and some individuals even joined us.
Sometimes something happens that wakes you up and changes the way you look at the world. My parents took us to the Ringling Brothers Circus when I was
three or four. I loved it. I loved the circus, but the circus of my childhood is no longer. The bright lights, awed crowds, sparkling costumes and music have
faded into a truth of abuse and pain. Standing outside of Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium, holding signs with Wofford faculty, staff and fellow students, we watched elephants and other animals led from rough tents formed on asphalt into a building. They were adorned in capes and feathers, plodding toward their performance. They walked as if they knew the threat of the pike or whip they faced once inside or if they misbehaved on the walk through a crowded parking lot. The elephants, unable to speak for themselves, were trapped.
I now know that the show must not go on.

View Comments (1)
$0
$500