Finding strengths in the weakness

By: Jaden Cox, contributing writer

The transition to college is undeniably tricky… or more accurately: the first part of post-secondary education is a recipe for anxiety attacks.  When parents aren’t around to cook meals and community showers are an everyday thing, we can easily feel alone and intimidated.  But then, after so many weeks, when we’ve befriended our roommate, joined a few clubs, and found some study buddies, we realize this new part of our lives might not be so bad.

So what happens when we finally conquer the physical, emotional and mental strains that transitioning to college forces onto us?  What happens when we are no longer homesick but are used to the routines of living on our own? What happens when the utter unfamiliarity of everything around us doesn’t seem so threatening anymore?  The Wofford College Class of 2021 has reached this point, so what do they think?

When I asked first year students, ranging from ones particularly good at football plays to ones with expertise in differential equations and everything in between, to pinpoint their biggest strengths and weaknesses thus far into the college journey, their answers showed that each of them are on seemingly the same page.

This far into the Wofford experience, the freshman class feels strong in areas including:

• breaking out of comfort zones
  • trying new things
  • becoming independent
  • the ability to organize work and accomplish it
  • using free time during the day efficiently to get homework done early
  • organization
  • dependability
  • strong friendships
  • improved social skills

As for me, I think this is something our community should be proud of.  All over campus we see the motto, “It’s your world,” and Wofford does a good job of allowing students opportunities to implement that— it is our world.  Our school shapes well-rounded students who are ready to take on the world, not only academically, but also with regard to self-confidence, strong relationships and an overall solid understanding of our individual roles in the lives we decide to lead.  So, I think that as a class and as a school, we are definitely heading down the right track.

On the other hand, the first-year students feel weak in areas such as:

• not getting enough sleep
  • spending money
  • figuring out majors/career paths
  • general comfort in decisions about the future
  • putting social life before schoolwork
  • procrastination
  • managing time
  • finding an overall balance

So how can we improve this? How can students feel more at ease with regard to decisions about the future, more urgent about schoolwork, and more aware of healthy habits?  It is important for us to turn our doubts and worries into motivation and potential, i.e. transforming our thinking can transform our grades.  So, when you feel like you’ve failed, look for a new strategy. When something seems too hard, persevere.  When you think your abilities determine everything, remember effort and attitude make all the difference.  There is always room for improvement and inspiration.  There is no task too big and no challenge that can’t be tackled.  Wofford gives all of us so many amazing opportunities, and by taking advantage of that and developing a stronger mindset and mental state, we can achieve higher grades and an overall better lifestyle.

The Wofford College Class of 2021 may have the shortest input on the school so far, but at the rate we are going, our overall impact will be great.

$0
$500