The Class of 2018’s senior gift

By: Emily Washburn, senior writer

At Wofford, the senior gift is a rite of passage, the culmination of four wonderful years at Wofford coming to a bittersweet ending. This gift is a way for the senior class to contribute something meaningful as their legacy to Wofford.

Each year, the senior class officers brainstorm ideas for their class gift that would make a unique statement about who they are, what Wofford has meant to them and what they hope it means to future students. This year senior class officers Bailey Wise, Henry Cornelson, Scott Hiler and Olivia Vasquez took time to deliberate and decide upon a senior gift unique to their class. Ultimately, it was Henry’s idea for the gift they decided upon and the rest of the officers, along with President Samhat and Stewart Winslow, then developed it.

The Class of 2018’s senior gift is a sidewalk on Evins St., on the right side of the JET building, as well as an arch similar to the “Walk of Champions” at Ole Miss.

Senior class president Bailey Wise says, “This gift will be functional as well as a cool traditional thing. It will be so special to be able to bring our own kids back to Wofford for homecoming and football games in years to come and be able to show them our class gift.”

The gift has grown from a simple idea to a fully formed gift thanks to many generous outlets, although there is still some funding that needs to be raised. Senior gifts are funded first by the seniors themselves. Every incoming freshman at Wofford makes a housing deposit of $250.00 at the beginning of their freshman year. This deposit stays safely kept until students’ senior year, unless there are damages to their room at any time, in which case Wofford would dip into their safety deposit in order to repair those damages. But if there are no damages at the end of their senior year, Wofford students have the option for the deposit to go back to their parents (or whoever pays the bills) or to donate it to the senior gift.

Another way the senior gift is funded is through the senior date auction during the 40 Days party. This year, two student bands played during the 40 Days party and the auction was held. About twenty-five dates were auctioned off and the event raised around $3,000 towards the senior gift. Dates auctioned off uncluded dinner at Dean Bigger’s house, dinner with Coach Young at Gerhard’s, Fortnite with the football team, a pizza party with the baseball team and Level 10 dinner and drinks with Mary Margaret Holden and Connor Callais.

Lastly, letters are sent to all of the seniors’ parents asking them to donate money towards the senior gift, so those donations contribute directly to the gift as well.

“I think people are excited about the senior gift this year because it’s something tangible and new that will benefit all Wofford students in years to come,” says Bailey Wise.

However, not all of the money raised goes towards the senior gift specifically. Some of the money also goes towards graduation weekend activities like the band on Friday night and the party at the Marriott.

Senior gifts are an important part of Wofford’s history, with many parts of Wofford today having been donated by previous senior classes, such as the seal outside of Phase V of the Michael S. Brown Village Center. Other senior gifts have come in the form of scholarships, such as the Class of 2017’s Endowed Scholarship for Jeremiah and MacGregor, classmates who passed away during their time here at Wofford. These gifts leave a lasting legacy for the senior classes at Wofford while also benefitting future classes.

$0
$500