Church & Creed – 1

Finding Religion at Wofford

Ron Robinson, Perkins-Prothro Chaplain and professor of religion at Wofford, said the goal of his office on behalf of the college is to “make religious life relevant and positive.” Even with a nationally recognized increase in the non-religious sector, 80% of Wofford students indicated affiliation with a branch of religious practice or faith, according to student-supplied information. Robinson stated that twenty-one different kinds of religion are represented within this percentage.

Robinson explained that for a small school, 21 is an impressive number. What’s additionally significant is the support the school receives from many of the religious denominations represented on Wofford’s campus. Though Wofford is historically affiliated with the Methodist Church, Robinson said his office, part of The Halligan Center for Religious & Spiritual Life, and the College are dedicated to providing an “opportunity for students to study religion in an academic setting (and) in other contexts as well.”

Attesting to the academic emphasis Wofford places on religion, a course in religion is a general education requirement for graduation. Six professors, in addition to Robinson, teach courses that cover an array of religious topics: introductions to religious and spiritual practices, the histories, texts, developments, influences and other studies that make up the respective religion elicited in the courses. Religion is also offered as both a major and minor, but the purpose of the general education requirement, Robinson said, is to encourage students to be “religiously literate…to develop an appreciative attitude toward people who are different from them.”

Robinson admitted that some students can be intimidated when faced with the goal of “religious literacy” or the college’s Methodist affiliation. Others, he said, choose Wofford because of its religious affiliation. In regard to both groups, Robinson emphasized that his office is “a place of hospitality” which pursues the goal of creating connective experiences that “unite us rather than divide us.”

The Chaplain’s office, located on the first floor of Old Main, is a place where students can go to seek counseling, life coaching and resources for campus religious groups. The office aims to sponsor one religiously guided event or activity each month, Robinson said. These activities, such as the upcoming Blessing of the Animals, are put on in order to develop relationships between the students and college Chaplain, he explained.

Students who are interested in getting involved with a religious or spiritual group on campus are encouraged to look into the following options available: The Connection, UKirk, Hillel, FCA, RUF, IFYC, Baptist Collegiate Ministry, Canterbury, Muslim Student Association, Campus Outreach, Neman Club, Hindu, Wesley Fellowship and a new Pan-Orthodox group.

Photo Caption: “Rev Ron,” as Wofford’s chaplain has been nicknamed, participated in an interfaith conference this summer

$0
$500