Knitty Gritty

Knitty+Gritty

Wofford’s newest club knits for those in need

Wofford College’s newest club, Knitty Gritty, is needling out warm hats, blankets and even plastic mats to help the local Spartanburg community. Using knitting and crochet techniques, Knitty Gritty teaches its members how to create small caps for premature babies, as well as blankets and scarves for the underprivileged. As its members improve their skills, Knitty Gritty plans to utilize those talents to weave plastic grocery bags into lightweight, reusable sleeping mats for Spartanburg’s homeless population.  

When students come to meetings, they receive either crochet hooks or knitting needles along with colorful, soft yarn. They sit together and watch movies, listen to music and relax while making a scarf or hat. Members enjoy watching their work improve and completing a project they know will help someone in need. Knitty Gritty meetings are open to all students regardless of their experience with knit or crochet, and meeting times are always broadcasted in the Daily Announcements. 

Even though this club is just getting started, the members are already starting to craft their knit work for those in need. Since the club’s first meeting in September, its members have learned basic knit and crochet skills that they use to create scarves and hats for donation. So far, Knitty Gritty has completed nine projects for the homeless; with 57 members, they plan to make many more. The Knitty Gritty leadership team plans to begin the creation of the plastic mats for the homeless in the spring semester.   

Founding president Erin Bedenbaugh, a sophomore economics and accounting major with a minor in German studies, was inspired to start Knitty Gritty when she decided she wanted to use her knitting hobby to help others.  

“I believe that the passions we possess should be used for bettering both ourselves and the community,” said Bedenbaugh. “We are all one and the same and we should do our best to take care of each other.” 

Erin also started three Little Free Libraries in her hometown of Lexington, South Carolina. She enjoys volunteering for the Backpack Buddies Program and for the Spartanburg Humane Society.  

Joining her in leadership of Knitty Gritty are Vice President Samantha Wei, Secretary Afreen Khimani, Treasurer Libby Levin and Public Relations Officer Allison Sherman, all of whom are sophomores.

Written by Allison Sherman

$0
$500