Faculty Concerns About New Dorm Ignored

Over 40 members petitioned to consider new name for proposed dorm 

Wofford is planning to build a new dorm on campus at the site of the Andrews Field House and the Anna Todd room to accommodate a future increase in class sizes. The renderings shown with this article are the initial concept studies for the new dorm, with a potential opening date scheduled for the fall semester of 2020. The dorm building is being financed by Jerry Richardson, a Wofford alum and the former owner of the Carolina Panthers. The name planned for the building is the “Jerome Johnson Richardson Hall.”   

Some Wofford faculty members do not feel this name is appropriate for the new building. When asked for explanation, several members cited Richardson’s scandals about racial misconduct and sexual assault, resulting in a $2.75 million fine by the NFL last June, as reasons for their apprehension.  

Over 40 faculty members signed a petition to request the Wofford College Board of Trustees to ask Mr. Richardson to consider a different name for the new building, such as the “Jon Richardson Hall” after Mr. Richardson’s late father. 

In response, the faculty were sent an official letter from R. Michael James, politely explaining that, while their “feelings have been heard,” Wofford declined to bring their concerns up to Mr. Richardson.  

The letter reads, “…we ultimately determined that the best path forward for the college is to resolve to permit the Richardson family to designate the name for the building that they prefer and to express gratitude for their generous funding…”   

Some of the faculty members appear to be frustrated by this response from the college. 

“Notice they said they acknowledged our ‘feelings’ and not our thoughts,” said one faculty member. 

The side of the new residence halll

Some Wofford College students are also speaking out against the new name in agreement with faculty members, citing the #MeToo movement and its significance on college campuses nationwide.  

“It’s a tragedy that we’re knocking down a building named after a woman so important in Wofford’s history just to put up a dorm named after a guy accused of sexual harassment,” said Abbey Winslow ’21. 

“It seems like everything is named after ‘Richardson’ now. I would like to see something about the founders, something to actually make it Wofford College, or a notable female alum,” said Jeffrey Woodward ’22.  

A student who wishes to remain anonymous said, “It’s scary to think that one person can have so much influence on such a small corner of the world like Wofford. Not influence based on virtue or honor, but money. To me, Jerry Richardson has become a face heavily associated with the college, and it’s worth asking if we want to strengthen that association based on one man with deep pockets.” 

Wofford’s Diversity and Inclusion Coalition states that, “Wofford continuously seeks ways to support, increase and enhance a more diverse and inclusive campus community.” Mr. Richardson’s racially and sexually inappropriate remarks and behavior do not reflect the importance that the college has placed on social progression. 

Mr. Richardson’s philanthropy has provided many valuable additions to Wofford, but if the college chooses to memorialize him despite his misconduct, it will be at odds with the progressive attitude it has aimed for. While the new dorm will undoubtedly benefit the campus in the future, Wofford College administration must consider the concerns of its current students and faculty moving forward. 

Written by Allison Sherman

$0
$500