If You’re Reading This, It’s Not Too Late

Seniors give advice for seizing college years 

The class of 2020 recently received an email from the Registrar’s Office reminding students who intend to graduate in December, after interim, in May, or in August to “apply to graduate.” It is a formality, a step Wofford students complete in order to ensure all requirements have been met so they can receive a diploma upon graduation. 

The email was a frank reminder of the extant truth that, for many seniors, time as a Wofford student is running out. However, while the class of 2020 is exceptionally sensitive to the ticking of time, most have begun the final year with convictions that it’s not too late to… 

“Invest in yourself,” says Sami Lyons, ‘20. Organizations like Wofford Wellness and Active Minds are focused on mental health and well-being; they help students manage a balanced lifestyle emotionally, mentally, socially and academically.  

Jack Sullivan, ‘20, encourages freshmen not to wait to explore the community and region surrounding Wofford. “Get out in Spartanburg as early as possible,” Sullivan says. Interim provides structured opportunities and personal free time to get acquainted with the area.   

Alec Konrad, ‘20, believes “it’s never too late to make new friends—it doesn’t matter if it’s your sophomore or your senior year, there is always a new friend to make…it can be as easy as saying ‘hi’.” 

Curniesha Williams, Senior Class President, doesn’t hesitate to tell freshmen the cliché: “get involved.”  Williams adds that “it’s never too late to redefine who you are because Wofford is a place that allows you to do that and supports you while you do it. It’s never too late to go abroad on an interim trip, either, especially for the athletes.” Williams spent fall ‘18 in Europe then traveled to Chile to study Spanish, a language new to Williams’ skillset, during Interim ‘19.   

A history major and mathematics minor, Charlie Pruitt, ‘20, says it is always the right time “to hang out with your professors.” With small class sizes and invested faculty, Wofford provides an academic environment suitable for fostering strong relationships with professors both in and outside of the classroom.    

Another senior, who wishes to remain anonymous, gave this honest piece of advice: “It’s never too late to call your mom.” 

Austin D’Addario, ‘20, one of the Orientation Staff co-chairs responsible for a positive transition into Wofford for all first-year and transfer students, assures students that “it’s never too late to turn yourself around in the semester. Even if it’s the end, take some time to go to an office hour, share your concerns and show some initiative. Initiative is what professors want to see most.”  

Annie Mayfield, ‘20, a recently published author and international wellness entrepreneur, is an inspirer by trade. Mayfield’s book, titled Be Your Own Hero, “aims to help young adults realize that their external empire only goes as far as their internal empire.” This conviction accompanies Mayfield’s advice from her senior-self to the new Terriers on campus: “first and foremost, it’s never too late to become part of different things. It’s never too late to branch out to become a part of different clubs…or change friend groups. Just go with it throughout your four years.”   

Mayfield was a member of the Wofford women’s tennis team for three years before switching to the cross country team for her senior season. While the obvious lesson is that it is never too late to switch sports even at the collegiate level, Mayfield says never to think it is too late to learn more about yourself and how you can actually be your own hero.   

Lastly, William Gray, ‘20, has found truth in the assurance that it’s never too late for “chasing your dream. Life is all too empty if you aren’t actively pursuing what floors you. You can’t achieve what you don’t chase. Find your passion and run after it wholeheartedly.”

$0
$500