Sports Update October

Defender Ole Berg, a native of Olso, Norway, in action.

Football

October 5
Wofford 35 at East Tennessee State 17
The football team traveled to Johnson City to take on ETSU. Joe Newman, ’20, led the team in rushing and passing, running for 185 yards and 4 touchdowns and throwing for an extra 49 yards. Five other Terriers had big contributions on the ground; Jacquez Allen, ‘23, ran for 69 yards on just four explosive runs, while Ryan Lovelace, ’21, added 58, Blake Morgan, ’20, ran for another 48, Nathan Walker, ‘22, contributed another 27 all in workhorse style with anywhere from nine to eleven carries, and finally Miller Mos- ley, ’21, added the last Terrier touchdown of the day. On defense, George Gbesee, ’20, led the Terriers with 6 tackles, Dimitri Red- wood, ’20, added 5 more, and Jireh Wilson, ’20, Darron Pascal, ’20, and Austin Lufkin, ’21, all posted 4.  

October 19
Western Carolina 7 at Wofford 59
The Terriers faced WCU at home for Homecoming. Newman led the Terrier offense with 162 yards passing on 7 completions out of 11 attempts, 108 yards rushing and 4 total touchdowns, 2 rushing and 2 passing. Irving Mulligan, ‘23, added 106 more yards on the ground and Jacquez Allen added 105 of his own. D’mauriae Van- Cleave, ‘22 led the team in receptions with 4 and receiving yards with 112, and 1 touchdown. Defensively, the Terriers were led by Ryan Titus, ‘21, with 7, including a tackle for a loss, and broke up a pass. Joe Beckett added 6 more tackles, Shaun Moore, ‘21, had 4 tackles and a broken up pass of his own.  

Cross-Country 

Men

October 5:
4th of 7 at the Upstate Invitational (8k)
The Terriers hosted the Upstate Invitational for six other squads and finished 4th out of the 7th teams. Walker Gibbs, ’20, finished highest for the Terriers in 25 place running a 28.33. Demir Degir- menci, ’23, finished three spots back of Gibbs for a 28 place 28.50.  

Both

October 11
Women 6th and Men 23rd at the Royal’s Cross Country Challenge (W5k & M8k)
The men and women traveled to Charlotte, NC for the Royal’s Cross Country Challenge hosted by Queens University of Charlotte. Hannah Steelman, ’21, finished 1st overall in the 5k with a 16:48. Taryn Schoen, ’20, finished 32nd overall with an 18:21. For the men, Josh Hendry, ’22, had the best finish among the Terriers, finishing 38th with a 25:02, slightly faster than the previous 8k school record set by Cisco Ferre, ’19. Jack Zemp, ’20, and Ford McCoy, ’21, came in soon after Hendry with times of 26:10 and 26:19.  

Golf

Men

October 7-8
2nd of 8 at the Musgrove Mill Match Play
The men’s golf team traveled to Musgrove Mill Country Club in Clinton, SC to play a match play tournament hosted by Presbyterian College. The 6-seed Terriers won their first round against 3-seed Garner-Webb 3-2. The next round they were matched up against 2-seed Radford University, and the Terriers won this round 3.5-1.5. Wofford’s final round match-up was against 4-seed High Point, who emerged as the victor over the T-dogs 3-2.  

October 14-15
11th of 16 at the Elon Phoenix Invitational
The team went to the Alamance Country Club in Elon, NC to play at the Elon Phoenix Invitational hosted by Elon University. Walker Simas, ’20, led the Terriers with a 5th place finish under par, including a final round 4 under par. Nick Willis also played very well, finishing with a 1 over par for the tournament.  

Women

October 6-7
2nd of 9 at the Winthrop Invitational
The Lady Terriers traveled to the Waterford Golf Club in Rock Hill, SC to play in the Winthrop Invitational hosted by Winthrop University. Becca Earl, ’22, finished 1st overall with a 3 under par, securing her second win of the year. Kristen Torralba, ’22, finished 2 over par good for 4th place.  

October 14-15
5th of 6 at the Hound Ears Intercollegiate
The women traveled to the Hound Ears Country Club in Boone, NC to play in the Hound Ears Invitational hosted by Appalachian State University. Lina Settelmayer, ’21, placed highest for the Lady Terriers with a 7th place 9 over par.  

October 13-15
Earl’s 12th place individual performance at the Palmetto Invitational  
Becca Earl traveled to the Kiawah Island Golf Resort for the Palmetto Invitational as an individual. She finished T-12 with even par, a 2 over par day one being offset by her final day 2 under par.  

Soccer

Men  

October 4
Wofford 2 at Georgia Southern 3
The Terriers traveled to Statesboro, GA to play Georgia Southern University. Ole Berg, ’22, and Adrian Roseth, ’23, scored the Terrier goals. Sam Ross, ’20, assisted on Berg’s goal.  

October 8
Longwood 2 at Wofford 1 (OT)
The Terriers tried to defend home turf and lost in over time to Longwood University of Farmville, VA. Austin Tuggle, ’20, scored Wofford’s goal.  

October 12
Wofford 3 at Belmont 3 (3OT)

The men made their way to Nashville, Tennessee, to play against Belmont University. Roseth and Niccolo Dagnoni of Belmont both had hat tricks. Ross and Oddy each had an assist.  

Oct 15
Mercer 2 at Wofford 3 (OT)
The Terriers faced off against Mercer University of Macon, GA at home. Lucas Altman, ’20, and Berg both scored in regulation. In overtime, Ben Nickol, ’20, scored the eventual game-winning goal on an assist from Ross.  

October 19
Wofford 0 at the University of North Carolina Greensboro 1

Women

October 4
VMI 1 at Wofford 2
The Lady Terriers faced Virginia Military Institute at home. Dani Segovia, ’21, and Katie Gilligan, ’22, scored the Wofford goals. Paige Miller, ’21, assisted Segovia’s goal.  

October 6
UNCG 1 at Wofford 0  

October 11
Western Carolina University 1 (Cullowhee, North Carolina) at Wofford 0  

October 13
ETSU 0 at Wofford 1
The Lady Terriers defended home turf against East Tennessee State University. Cameryn Burke, ’20, scored the lone goal.  

October 18
Wofford 0 at Furman 2  

Volleyball

October 4
Wofford 3 at Furman 0
Kills: Meghan Yaffa, ’22, 11, Catie Cronister, ’20, 11, Claire Meier, ’22, 8.
Blocks: Meier 6, Riley Coonan, ’21, 5, Cronister 3.
Assists: Lorissa King, ’20, 35.  

Wofford 3 at UNCG 2
Kills: Coonan, 13, Meier, 10, Cronister, 10.
Blocks: Cronister, 3, Coonan, 2, Meier 1.
Assists: King, 49.  

October 12
Wofford 2 at ETSU 3
Kills: Cronister, 11, Coonan, 11, Yaffa, 11.
Blocks: Coonan 9, Cronister, 5, King, 2.
Assists: King, 43.  

October 16
Wofford 1 at The Citadel 3
Kills: Cronister, 17, Meier, 14, Yaffa, 7.
Blocks: Coonan, 4, Meier, 2, Yaffa, 2.
Assists: King, 42.  

October 18
Chattanooga 2 at Wofford 3
Kills: Cronister, 19, Coonan, 14, Yaffa, 13.
Blocks: Coonan, 7, Cronister, 5, King, 2.
Assists: King, 50.  

$0
$500