How to travel cheap

A toucan perches on a tree in the Mayan Mountains of Belize.

TIPS FOR EXPLORING THE WORLD ON A BUDGET—

Traveling on a student budget is challenging, but it’s not impossible. There are opportunities at Wofford, such as Interim and study abroad (which anyone who’s interested in travel should look into, as some programs are cheaper than Wofford). Outside of the classroom, cheap travel opportunities, financial aid, scholarships and wise budgeting can stretch even the most limited funds into an amazing trip:

1. Make your desire to travel known

If travel is something that you want to do, tell the people in your life. Post it on your blog or Facebook profile and ask for travel-related gifts for your birthday. By reaching out to others, you’ll gain a network of support, and any person in that network has the potential to lead you to a travel opportunity.

They can alert you of scholarships or programs for travel, connect you with other travelers, or even help you financially. It’s not likely that anyone will pay for your trip, but even a $20 gift is $20 less that you have to earn yourself.

2. Do your research

If you want people to take your ambitions seriously, then do as much research as possible. If you have a certain destination in mind, learn as much about that place as possible.

Are there tours designed for tourists? What kind of housing is nearby? Will you be traveling by foot or will you need to pay for taxis? The more you know about your chosen destination, the better you can budget your trip realistically.

3. Learn from successful travelers

Search the web and follow travel blogs. Often, bloggers will post travel opportunities and discounts when they come across them, and they’ll review tours set up by outside agencies. Contact the bloggers and ask for advice. See how they’ve managed to travel and what destinations they recommend. Most are more than happy to share, and some can help you network with other travelers.

4. Be open to the possibilities

You may have a specific place in mind that you’ve been longing to visit, or a specific set of plans that you want to follow. However, keeping an open mind can lead you to an opportunity that you wouldn’t expect. Have you considered traveling in a group to cut costs, or even with strangers? What about taking a trip to a country that you’ve never heard of? Often, the not-so-popular destinations are much cheaper than their counterparts, and they may offer a more unique experience.

5. Consider what you want

Are you traveling just to travel? Would you rather take nature photos or talk to locals? By thinking about what it is that you want from your trip, you can cut down on unnecessary costs. For example, if you’re looking to be immersed in another culture, consider doing a foreign homestay in stead of paying for a hotel. If you want to spend time in nature, bring your own no-preparation food, customs allowing, instead of eating out every night. Consider what is a necessity and what is a luxury and be honest about the sacrifices you’re willing to make. Also, consider if the experience that you want to have could be replicated in a different, more affordable place.

6. Be gracious

Travel leads to travel. When you enter a new place, be polite, be willing to learn and be open. Don’t expect foreigners to cater to you, and if they do, then show them your gratitude. The more genuine connections that you make abroad, the more opportunities you have to return to those places.

7. Prioritize

Consider how much you really want to travel. Set aside a portion of money each month in a travel savings account. When you buy clothes, pick practical things that can be worn in multiple climates. Invest your disposable income wisely, such as in choosing the cordless phone charger over the new pair of headphones. If you’re deliberate with your spending, you’ll find your funds accumulating.

Ultimately, there’s no magical road to traveling, especially on limited funds. However, the more open and deliberate you are, the more likely it is that you’ll be able to find an opportunity that you can afford.

$0
$500