Concerns on the future of Wofford Interim

A CONVERSATION WITH PHILOSOPHY PROFESSOR DR. CHRISTINE DINKINS—

What is the nature of the review or discussion concerning Interim at this point? (Is it a formal meeting, casual debate, sit down conference?)
“Dr. Ryan Johnson recently became the Director of Interim, and he and the faculty Interim committee (chaired this year by Dr. Catherine Schmitz) have opened up a space for conversation among faculty, students and administrators on what we value about Interim, what concerns we
have, and how we might reshape it. My sense is there has been a lot of positive and energetic response to this open space for conversation, so it seems likely it will lead to significant change.”
What are some of the advantages and disadvantages being raised in the ongoing conversation of Interim from a faculty perspective?
“The opportunity to travel is fantastic. I love that so many Wofford students get to travel for Interim and explore new ideas, cultures, and places. I think a lot of faculty are concerned about the
uneven experiences for students. Some students love Interim, some do not look forward to it at all. Some students can afford to travel multiple January terms, some cannot and feel stuck on campus for a month when their social structures, student organizations and other activities are disrupted.
Speaking for myself, I find it a challenge to pitch the academic rigor of Interim at the right level. I love that it’s pass-fail so that students and faculty can learn and experiment outside their comfort zones. But within this context, some students work very hard and do great things. Some students do the minimum to pass. Are those students learning? And is that system fair to the students working
harder for the same grade? I’m also concerned about the timing and length of Interim. Interim delays Spring term and makes the Interim-Spring stretch 18 weeks long. We faculty and our students are often intellectually or emotionally very tired come May, unable to do our best work in highly
demanding courses. Might Interim be three weeks long, with a week break before spring? Could we find ways for all students to be able to travel for Interim once in their four years? Could we put Interim more in student hands – a chance to engage in activism or huge, open conversations
about Wofford and its place in the world? I think a lot of us faculty have concerns about the structure of Interim, but we love that it gives us a chance to spend intensive time with students, learning together. That’s a really special thing that we don’t want to have go away.”
In what ways might Interim be changing in the future and how does it fit in with the Strategic Vision? What are some of the most likely outcomes of the review?
“I think right now the conversation is entirely open, and we’ve all been invited to think carefully about Interim and how we can reshape it. What do we want it to be? Let’s dream big! I hope students reading this article will talk with each other and talk with faculty so we can all work together to take what is already a very cool, valuable thing, and make it better for all students. What a marvelous legacy that would be to leave for future Wofford students!”
Who will be involved in the decision making process should there be changes made to the current structure of Interim?
“My hope is that this decision will be made collaboratively by faculty, staff and students, with support from the administration. Dr. Samhat has said he wants us all to feel empowered to shape Interim and the academic calendar into what we want them to be. I know from conversations with Dean Bigger that she is very supportive of thinking about new opportunities and activities for January on our campus. So let’s all dream big together and decide how we all want to learn together! I want to ask all students: what does an ideal non-traditional learning experience look like for you?”

$0
$500