St. Patrick’s Day in the southeast

STREET FESTIVALS AND CELEBRATIONS—

St. Patrick’s Day began in the fifth century to commemorate St. Patrick during lent with a feast. The day and its traditions have transformed dramatically in modern day America. St. Patrick’s Day is highly associated with parades in the United States. According to the History Channel, the tradition of parades and festivals on St. Patrick’s Day in the United States can be drawn back to the Irish immigrant population in America and a growing patriotism amongst Irish Americans.

The International Business Times calculated in 2014 that about 11 percent of the U.S. population claims Irish ancestry. Not only Irish descendants recognize the day, however. Some of the biggest celebrations in the United States, hosted in Boston, New York and Chicago bring in hundreds of thousands to millions of people in attendance. Today, there are over 100 parades across the nation celebrating a day that has become associated with the color green, four-leaf clovers, parades, beer and festival style celebration.

Many South Carolinians are familiar with the celebration in Columbia, S.C., known as St. Pat’s in Five Points. The street festival is one of the largest celebrations of St. Patrick’s Day in the southeast, bringing in around 40,000 people. This year the celebration will be held Saturday, March 14, with gates opening at 9 a.m.

The schedule includes the Get to the Green running race 10K / 5K / Family Fun 1-Miler at 7:30 a.m. Participants in the road race will be able to enter the festival for free, and it will feature cash awards for age division winners as well as awards for those who are best dressed as leprechauns. Following the race, the Annual St. Pat’s Parade will begin at 10 a.m., which is free viewing on Devine Street. At noon the festival kicks off Shaggin’ on Santee as well as live music from Four Stages. Finally the festival will finish with a DJ from 4-7 p.m.

Although a slightly farther drive from Wofford, Savannah, Ga., also hosts an exciting and vibrant St. Patrick’s Day parade and celebration. The parade has been an event in Savannah for 190 years and features festivals, Irish ceremonies and celebrations. The city fountains will be dyed green on March 13 to help color the city green.

A festival on River’s Street on March 14 will feature vendors of restaurants and bars, music which is played early in the day and into the night, and an overwhelming amount of green worn by festival attenders. During the day on Saturday, the City of Savannah’s Department of Cultural Affairs hosts a Tara Feis Irish celebration to highlight Irish culture through dance, arts and crafts and interactive activities.

For those interested in making the drive for a weekend of St. Patrick’s Day celebrations in Columbia or Savannah, visit their websites at stpatscolumbia.com and savannah.com/savannahs-st-patricks-day-celebration/.

Regardless of traveling or staying in Spartanburg, everyone can enjoy the holiday the traditionally American way by throwing on something green on March 17.

$0
$500