Nutrition Now Program brings healthy meals to ARCH

A NEW PROGRAM IMPLEMENTED BY ARCADIA VOLUNTEER CORPS IS WORKING TO SUPPLY FIRST GRADERS WITH HEALTHY FOOD—

In the three years since its inception, the Arcadia Volunteer Corps (AVC) has accomplished a lot. Through the organization, Wofford students have been able to work with children in the community, with a focus on ARCH, an after school program for first-grade students. Currently, the members of AVC are working to implement a new program known as Nutrition Now.

Large portions of the Northside, including Arcadia, are considered food deserts because there is limited access to healthy food options. Nutrition Now is focused on bringing healthy meals to the children at ARCH, who otherwise could not eat this way at home.

Started at the beginning of March, the program currently brings healthy meals to the students at ARCH two days a week, with the ultimate goal of serving meals four days a week.

Says Rebecca McGregor, a sophomore member of the AVC leadership team, “We want ARCH to be the place that teaches the kids about the importance of healthy foods and gets them excited about eating healthy.”

AVC hopes that the establishment of healthy eating habits in the children will have a larger impact on the community as a whole.

“Our hope is that these kids will take home the things they learn about to their families. The aim of the program is to institute an infrastructure to promote health in Arcadia,” says Lauren Crawford, another sophomore AVC leadership team member. “There needs to be a change in the nutrition and the education at ARCH and the community, and I know that, through Nutrition Now, I am making that difference.”

The initial planning and researching for Nutrition Now began in the fall of 2014. Since its initial launch in March, the program has received generally positive responses, despite some minor complications.

“We have had to do a little adjusting to certain meals and have had our fair share of mess-ups, but overall it has been encouraging. The children especially love breakfast food,” says McGregor.

According the AVC leaders, providing four meals a week means that the group needs donations.

“We are currently funding Nutrition Now through private donations, but we want to create a sustainable program by involving businesses in the community so that it can operate on a permanent basis,” says Annie McDermott, a sophomore AVC leader.

Members of AVC highly encourage other Wofford students to participate in community involvement because of how it has enriched their own lives.

“These programs have altered the way that I view the community and the service that I can attempt to provide. Being a regular ARCH volunteer has allowed me to see the ways that I can be of service to others, but also the ways that I can learn from the people I serve,” says McDermott. “When you see a child eating a pop-tart and a cookie for dinner because of a shoestring budget, you can’t help but get involved.”

“When I look around the room, I see how much the children need support, need love and need role models. We live in the Wofford bubble, but when we finally ease outside of the bubble, the need in the world is clear,” says McGregor. “When six year olds have mouths full of crowns because of their lack of nutrition and dental care, there is no question about what my role is.”
The program is looking for more student volunteers who can come to ARCH in the afternoons to cook the meals.

If interested in helping out and becoming involved with either Nutrition Now or other programs in the Arcadia community, email [email protected].

—Kelsey Aylor

A student from the ARCH program collects all of the toy fruits and vegetables because she “doesn’t get to eat them at home,” due to lack of access. Photo courtesy of Rebecca McGregor.

$0
$500