If You See A Housekeeper At Wofford, Tell Them Thank You

Illustration by Walker Antonio.

Wofford implements new measures to protect campus from COVID

While the lives of Wofford students have shifted dramatically in the face of the pandemic, we are not the only ones who have had to change our daily activities on campus. The Wofford housekeeping staff have had to bear the burden of increased sanitation measures to protect our campus community and we owe them a resounding thank you.

Janet McDonald, who has been with Wofford for eight years, spoke with the Old Gold & Black about the changes on campus to combat the spread of the coronavirus. Janet explained that when Wofford closed early in the spring, the housekeepers “worked on a rotation schedule. Four housekeepers would come in one day a week and work together going to certain buildings. Each day [there] would be four different housekeepers coming in.” Now that Wofford has reopened and welcomed students back to campus, the housekeeping staff has grown to meet the increased sanitation stan- dards. Jeffrey Burney, the director of housekeeping and event services, shared that “The college hired addi- tional housekeeping staff and added an additional shift to meet the campus’ needs.”

Mr. Burney also explained some of the new cleaning measures as “Housekeeping staff is following CDC’s recommendations for cleaning and monitoring updates. Extra attention is being given to common spaces, including classrooms, and high-touch surfaces such as light switches and door handles.”

It’s no secret that college students are notoriously dirty and messy. I asked Janet if she was nervous about working on a college campus during a pandemic and was pleased to hear, “No, I don’t feel nervous. Because I do everything that I can to keep ev- eryone safe. On campus I sanitize my building, inside and out several times a day. And clean the tables at players corner.”

Both Janet McDonald and Jeffrey Burney shared that no housekeeper has contracted the virus. As the number of positive cases surpasses fifty, let’s continue to clean up after ourselves, wash our hands, wear a mask, and say thank you to our housekeepers for working to keep us safe.

$0
$500