I’m NoT A VoTeR

Students hold up signs in front of Shipp Residence Hall in support of renaming buildings. However, some Wofford community members are questioning the precedent that this change could set.

The dangers of not giving a shit

This year marks the one hundred year anniversary of (white) women gaining the right to vote in the United States with the passage of the 19th amendment. It also marks my first time voting in a presidential election, a right made possible by the sacrifices of those who came before me. Refusing to vote is an affront to these sacrifices and to the very basis of American democracy.

I spent much of the last few weeks ensuring people are able and ready to vote. While registering voters both on campus and by canvassing door to door in Spartanburg I was repeatedly told ‘I’m not a voter,’ one person going so far as to say ‘I have never voted and will never vote.’ Please understand that apoliticsm is a political choice, and voter apathy is detrimental.

It is the unfortunate truth that not everyone is able to exercise their right to vote, whether from voter suppression, felony charges or other barriers. However, for those that are able, I hope to remind you that suffrage is one of the most important rights you have as an American citizen.

Remember that you are not only voting for yourself, you are voting for all those who came before you who fought for this right. You are voting for all those who will come after you, who need our help to ensure they have a healthy world to live in. You are voting for all whose rights hang in the balance.

Wofford students do not have the best history of civic participation. Allen Lollis, the Associate Director for Residence Life & Community Standards, tracks Wofford’s voter participation.

He shared that “In 2016, 83% of our students were registered to vote, 60.7% of those registered actually voted for a total voting rate of 50.4% of all eligible voters.”

2020 is arguably the most important election that has ever occurred in the United States, and Wofford College should strive for 100% eligible voter participation. In fact, this year hopes to boast the highest voter turnout in American history. Snapchat alone has registered a million voters! here are 32 million eligible Latinx voters, and for the first time ever one third of eligible voters are people of color. As college students we are part of the largest voting bloc in the United states, new voters to early millennials, and therefore have unimaginable power to dictate the future of our communities and our country with the power of our vote. Your vote is your voice. Use it.

Not voting is not a personality trait.

Voting may not be a revolutionary act, but it sure as hell is a step in the right direction.

$0
$500