March/April Service Opportunities

UPCOMING SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES IN THE SPARTANBURG COMMUNITY—

As we continue to progress through the spring semester, there are plenty of opportunities to become or continue to be more engaged – both on and off Wofford’s campus. Despite the hectic atmosphere that spring semester brings upon us (i.e. midterms, organization turnovers, finals, etc.), the spring semester is also a great time to explore ways to become active in terms of service. For this edition of S2S, here are some good tips to plug your way into service during these next upcoming weeks.

Alternative Spring Breaks:

With spring break approaching in just a couple of weeks, alternative spring breaks are always a time to give back to a community during your time off from classes. Places locally, in your hometown, or even internationally sponsor and fund students like us to come and serve for the duration of the week in various tasks. Organizations such as:
“Projects Abroad” and “Break-A-Difference” sponsor alternative spring break trips both locally and internationally while catering to your specific academic or skill interests. For more information, visit Projects Abroad’s website at: projects-abroad.org/volunteer-projects/alternative-spring-break-trips/ or Break-A-Difference at: breakadifference.org regarding logistics and locations that may interest you.

Safe Homes Rape Crisis Coalition:

Safe Homes is a non-profit organization in which serves victims of domestic violence and their children in the Upstate area along with sexual assault victims in Spartanburg and Cherokee counties. With Safe Homes’ volunteer program, they are able to attend to the needs of victims of sexual assault and domestic violence while spreading awareness of this issue. Volunteers that serve at Safe Homes play an important role when it comes to helping the inner Upstate communities. Volunteers serve in capacities including:

• Safe Homes’ 24-hour Crisis Line
  • Courthouse Office services
  • Emergency Shelter Program
  • SAFE Homes-Rape Crisis Coalition Thrift Store
  • Administrative Office
  • Fundraising/Special Events
For more on how to volunteer, please contact their office at: 864-583-9803 to obtain more information in regards to their volunteer training program dates and locations.

Spartanburg Walk MS Day:On April 18, 2015, the city of Spartanburg and the National Multiple Sclerosis Society will take part in the annual Spartanburg Walk MS – located at Cleveland Park. Persons who are interested in volunteering may choose to help in the areas of: registration, food service, rest stops, cheering at the finish line and much more. For more details and information on how you can get involved, please visit the National MS Society’s website at: walkms.org and search for Spartanburg’s location by zip code or state.

Of course, there are plenty of more opportunities that may interest you that are not featured in this edition of S2S. Search for your service opportunities that will pique your desire to serve at: volunteermatch.org/search?l=Spartanburg,%20SC,%20USA.

$0
$500