Watching Empowerment Sprout

(From left to right) The founders of SEED., Grace Gehlken and Kenzie Syiem, as well as their creative project manager, Eliana Davis.

How SEED. is facilitating change both at home and around the world

The Launch program in the Space has been a way for many students to build an idea into a business. This is no different for Kenzie Syiem ’23 and Grace Gehlken ’22, the founders of SEED., or “sowing empowerment every day.”

In an interview with Syiem, she stated that what really helped their concept materialize was being quarantined at home during March of this year. Syiem says that the two connected over a shared love for social work and advocacy based within a global mindset.

“We are a for-profit social venture that seeks to empower people. We source from or collaborate with local artisans across the globe and donate a set amount of the proceeds to associated charities. We also know that with the current social climate, we want to continue to build an international community focused on diversity and representation,” said Syiem.

However, success does not come without its hurdles. This holds true especially for Syiem when it comes to conceptual understanding versus actual application.

As easy as it is to take a business class, it is so different to actually do it. There is no manual,” said Syiem, “We’ve seen that there is a great need with the changing social climate to provide an educated and positive community to make change for the better, and to help facilitate solutions.”

Currently, SEED. is working to expand their connections with the Wofford and the surrounding Spartanburg community. In an interview with the team’s creative project manager Eliana Davis ’22, she expressed that she was excited to join the team but was also worried about whether Wofford students might respond to the group’s first on campus event, the Empowerment Photoshoot.

“For me it was a really new experience and I was nervous, but once I settled in, I really enjoyed myself. It was reassuring to have such a positive experience in the field that I want to pursue. More than anything, we wanted to create an atmosphere where you can be who you are…no matter how you arrived, you would walk away with positivity and inspiration in your heart.”

So, what can we expect from SEED. in the near future? Davis says that they have already learned so much from hosting the group’s first on campus event and have already started planning for other Empowerment Photoshoots in the near future.

“We want to extend past Wofford’s bubble into something more universal to spread awareness of SEED. on campus and to create an inclusive atmosphere that is open to all ideas that fosters diversity in all forms.”

To connect with SEED., you can find them on Instagram @seed.co_

$0
$500