A surprising look at Argentina

MORE THAN ONE MELTING POT—

It’s the beginning of the 20th century and immigrants are flooding through Ellis Island. America is beginning to coin its reputation of being a melting pot, as people from Eastern and Southern Europe flee across the Atlantic in search of freedom from persecution and better economic opportunities. But the Unites States is not the only country in the western hemisphere becoming increasingly diverse at this time.

So is Argentina.

Like the United States, Argentina’s population increased by millions in the early 20th century thanks to a wave of immigration. While the country is known for its Spanish and Italian roots, those are far from the only foreigners to call Argentina home. Citizens of Poland, Russia, France, Germany, Austria, Ireland, the Netherlands, Syria, Lebanon and many other countries have also made their way to the southern cone of South America.

These people did not arbitrarily choose a country. One major influence on the immigration to Argentina was World War II. Jews from all over Europe were looking for an escape from the religious persecution, and later Germans were looking to avoid the consequences of a lost war. Because the Unites States had stringent immigration laws and had taken a neutral stance for a good part of the war, Argentina was a more feasible option. Today Argentina is the country with the seventh largest Jewish population and is also home to the only kosher McDonald’s franchise outside of Israel.

Also similar to that of the Unites States, the territory of Argentina encompasses nearly every climate. The northernmost part of the country is sub-tropical, and the central region is mild, with hot summers and cold winters. In between the two you find a mix of transitional climates. Below the central region are plains and grasslands, and below those lies the famous region of Patagonia, which is cold and mountainous. The southernmost city in Argentina, Ushuaia, is also the most southern city in the entire world, and serves as a gateway for visitors to Antarctica. Penguins are also native to this area of the country.

Economically, Argentina’s set up is ideal. Because of the variety in geographic wonders, tourism is bountiful, and because of the variety in climate, agriculture is booming. Soy beans, wheat, corn, orchards, citrus, tobacco, cotton, cattle, sheep and timber are only some of the products the country has to offer.

Why does all this matter? In the United States, we pride ourselves on our diversity, in all aspects of life. Our beginning was that of an outsider, and therefore we gladly welcome others to come and be apart of the freedom we work hard to maintain. Each region of our country is different, with their unique interests, economy and past-times. Its not hard for a newcomer to find a place they fit in. However, we are not the only country that fosters a diverse, but equally unified society. There is a world outside of our borders, and it deserves to be appreciated.

Politics aside, let us appreciate Argentina for what it is: a country after our own heart.

San Telmo, the oldest neighborhood in Buenos Aires, reflects the country’s cultural diversity with its food-options, which includes everything from Irish Pubs, to Indian and Japanese restaurants.

$0
$500