Campus Union’s New Committee

Destiny Shippy ‘22 is at the helm of the new committee’s creation. She is hopeful that the committee will bring about a culture of inclusivity for current and prospective students. Photo courtesy of Sopharvathdy Vorn.

Wofford’s Campus Union votes to create the Diversity, Inclusion, and Anti-Racism Committee

During its meeting on Feb. 8, Campus Union voted to create a committee for Diversity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism. Destiny Shippy ‘22 wrote and introduced the bill.

Shippy said, “As we all know, there is a need for BIPOC students on campus, and as campus leaders I felt it was our responsibility to assist with this and assist in planning AND hosting events that promote equity and anti-racism.”

The committee will be comprised of two to four Campus Union members, one member of each Diversity Council organization and one student coordinator from the Office of Diversity and Inclusion. 

Shippy said, “This committee will work alongside the Office of Diversity and Inclusion staff as well as the Office of Admissions staff to fight for a more diverse and inclusive environment on campus.”

A proposed goal for the committee is to bring diversity, inclusion and anti-racism to Wofford’s admissions process. Members of the committee will be Bellringers and will help decide which high schools should be visited by Wofford admissions representatives. 

The committee will also plan anti-racism events on campus.

Shippy said her process for creating the committee was first to get input from the Office of Admissions and the Office of Diversity and Inclusion. Then, she talked to each diversity organization on campus and to Dean Hurley for feedback.

The bill passed unanimously during Campus Union’s vote.

Adding a committee to Campus Union’s organizational structure requires a change to its bylaws, according to Vice President Dylan Goshorn ‘22. Wofford’s Board of Trustees must meet and approve a change to these bylaws.

The Board of Trustees did not vote on the proposed Diversity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism Committee during its Feb. 16 meeting. Goshorn said the board again re-considered the proposal during its Feb. 19 meeting but decided not to vote.

According to Goshorn, the Board of Trustees has pushed the matter back until its meeting in May.

$0
$500