Mr. President

Dylan Goshorn stands outside Campus Union’s COVID-19-edition meeting space. He began his term as student body president on March 15. Photo courtesy of Natalie Aversano.

Dylan Goshorn shares his vision for his time in leadership

Wofford’s new student body president is Dylan Goshorn ‘22.

Goshorn was sworn in at the March 15 Campus Union meeting after previously serving as student body vice president since spring 2020. 

Goshorn believes that his experience in Campus Union, which spans a total of two and a half years, will be valuable as he navigates the role of president. 

“I feel as if I have a strong connection and sense of camaraderie with not just one group, but multiple groups on campus,” he said. “I have fostered these connections since my first year and it is because of this that I feel that I can enact substantial change to the college.”

Goshorn said that he was motivated to run for this position because of Wofford’s unique community. However, he said he recognizes that the Wofford experience is not the same for every student.

“Diversity, equity and inclusion is one of my main objectives on my agenda as President. I will continue to serve as a student representative on the Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) Steering Committee until our final recommendations are brought to the Board of Trustees in May,” he said.

Being part of the JEDI Committee has given Goshorn a chance to see inside the institutional operations of the school, as well as an opportunity to decide how to incorporate anti-racist policies into Campus Union.

Goshorn said, “(Diversity, equity and inclusion) work is never complete and I am committed to continuing listening to students in an equitable fashion. Every student should feel safe, included and listened to.”

In addition to diversity, equity and inclusion, Goshorn feels that relations between students, faculty and administration can be improved. He plans to bridge this gap by planning events where members of the Wofford community from all levels can interact.

Other goals of Goshorn’s include expanding use of Terrier Bucks at Spartanburg restaurants, implementing weekly office hours open to the student body and sending out monthly newsletters to campus.

“I have had the honor to live and work with some of the most exceptional individuals that I know,” Goshorn said. “I have grown as a person and as a leader from these experiences, and it is the honor of my life thus far to be the voice for the Wofford College student body.”

$0
$500