Wofford goes to court

Jordan Willey, the mock trial team’s founder and president. Photo Courtesy of Anna Lee Hoffman.

Mock Trial team offers new opportunities

Prior to last year, the only big opportunities at Wofford for Pre-Law students were internships and the Pre-Law Society on campus. Jordan Willey ‘23 felt a need for a greater number of organizations for these students and helped to found a Mock Trial team on campus.

“(It is) a fake court competition, where we get a court case from the (American Mock Trial Association). Other schools get the same case as us,” Willey stated. “Using that case, we prepare a prosecution side and a defense side. In February, we go to a regional competition where we try the case as if it were real against other colleges; prosecution and defense.”

In these competitions, the Wofford Mock Trial team will compete against multiple nearby schools such as Furman, Clemson, USC, etc. Teams that do well in regionals are able to compete in national tournaments. These competitions not only allow students to practice their legal skills, but open many doors for connections, opportunities and scholarships.

Although this organization was formed during the 2020-2021 academic year, it did not go to competition, due to multiple factors, such as COVID-19. 

“(It was a) foundational year; we got funding, members, and connections at Wofford and with the American Mock Trial Association,” Willey stated. “While we didn’t compete, we gained a better understanding of what to expect this year.”

This year, Willey and others are hopeful of being able to go to the competition and believe there are expanded opportunities beyond what was offered last year. In addition to looking for more interest this year and having the benefit of knowing what the meetings will be like, the team expects to have an interim class, offered to members and non-members of the team, with help from Dr. Valde and many local attornies to help Mock-Trial members prepare for the competition.

“In the beginning, we’ll go through the case as a group and go through the main points and flaws on both sides of the case. Once we get to know all of the facts of the case, we will split up into prosecution and defense sides, (competing) against each other for practice for the competition,” stated Willey, referring to the structure of their weekly meetings. Meetings for the club will be at 5 PM on Thursdays in the Leonard Auditorium. Seek confirmation from Jordan Willey at [email protected], as both time and location may be subject to change.

$0
$500