Maymester or Jan-term?

Photo+by+Anna+Lee+Hoffman.%0AOld+Main+in+the+snow%2C+Interim+2022.+There+are+no+plans+to+recreate+the+spring+2021+Interim+semester%2C+which+instead+saw+students+enjoy+their+Interim+during+warmer+weather.+
Photo by Anna Lee Hoffman. Old Main in the snow, Interim 2022. There are no plans to recreate the spring 2021 Interim semester, which instead saw students enjoy their Interim during warmer weather.

Wofford College was forced to adjust its schedule for the 2020-2021 academic year to accommodate many COVID-19 precautions. For the first time in school history, Wofford’s Interim semester was held in the spring as opposed to the winter. 

Students on campus did not appear to be displeased by this. Most students seemed to enjoy the final month of school without taking a stressful schedule of classes and enjoying the spring weather on campus with their peers. 

Interim has been a time for students to participate in activities, travels or internships that they may not find availability for during the stressful chaos of a typical Wofford semester. Additionally, many students find that it gives them a mental break and a chance to regroup before entering into the second semester and beginning a new schedule of classes. 

Faculty also promote outside-the-box classes that reflect their own personal interests or expertises. With this, students are nourished with creativity and well-roundedness while staying in the Wofford community.

For those who choose to take the month away from campus, it is oftentimes to pursue study abroad opportunities or a personalized interim credit, such as an internship.

Although this intermission to the regular course load may be beneficial for students’ futures and resumés, many students believe it greatly hinders productivity entering the second semester. 

“I think it makes it way harder to focus coming into the second semester,” Trent Muir ‘24 said. “Having what is basically a month-long break while still being on campus in between semesters definitely creates bad study habits, I most definitely would prefer interim in the spring.”

Many students have stated similar feelings on being out of the studying mindset after winter interim. Having such a slow-paced curriculum placed directly after winter break creates nearly two months of time off from classes. 

In contrast, Interim preceding summer break does not drastically affect or change the adjustments a student has to make before coming into the next academic year, causing some flaw in the argument.

Spring interim gives students far more time to enjoy the outdoors, and enjoy Wofford’s beautiful campus without a heavy course load. Students had far more time to participate in activities like beach volleyball in the sand, outdoor basketball, and tennis. 

These activities definitely contribute to overall happiness for many students. However, during a January interim, the frigid temperatures prevent students from spending as much time outside.

This is not to say that all students disapprove of the traditional, January interim.

“It’s a nice buffer in between two stressful times of year where I get to learn a new hobby or trade instead of my normal school work,” said Judson Reaves ‘23, explaining the significance that a January interim holds to him.

At the beginning of the academic year, Campus Union sent out a survey to the entirety of the Wofford student body. The survey inquired whether students would prefer a spring interim permanently as opposed to a winter interim, but the results were never posted publicly.

This leaves us with one question: will we ever go back to having an interim in the spring? Although many rumors have spread of this occurring, Wofford does not currently have any plans to resurrect the May interim.

“As of now, they are not changing it,” Campus Union Delegate Graydon Davies ‘24 said. “They would consider moving interim to April/May if Campus Union were to make a proposal, but we do not expect that to happen.” 

With the recent interim to Spring semester transition, the conversation was resparked. Some students wish to see a change made after their experience in interim this winter. Complaints have been made and it would not be surprising for the discussion with Campus Union, as well as administration, to soon reopen.

Regardless of whether the May interim will return, Wofford students will never forget the fun and unique experience that a Spring interim held. It was a time unlike anything many students have seen during their time at Wofford, and may never get to see again. 

$0
$500