Dylan Goshorn reflects upon his presidency

Photo courtesy of Sopharvathdy Vorn. Goshorn holding his gavel in front of Old Main before the final Campus Union meeting.

For the 2021-2022 academic year, Dylan Goshorn ’22 served Wofford’s community as Campus Union’s student body president. As graduation approaches and Thomas Cuttino ’23 takes on the role, Goshorn reflects on his past year and his time at Wofford.

“I ran for president foremost because of the love of the people that are at Wofford,” Goshorn said. “I recognized early on in my time at Wofford that the people here were remarkable.However, I also observed areas in which the college could improve, and the student experience (could be) made better for all students.”

As president, Goshorn wanted to be a voice for the student body; a person that each student could comfortably come talk to with ideas, thoughts and concerns. He wanted to make sure that students knew they could talk with him, so he made an effort to attend a variety of organization events as well as holding office hours.

During his time at Wofford, Goshorn experienced many sports accomplishments, including the men’s basketball team beating UNC-Chapel Hill for the second time and winning the SoCon championship. He also witnessed a long construction process on campus from the CHandler Center for Environmental Studies to Burwell’s renovations. 

Most notably, though, he also saw the effects of COVID-19 and the push for racial equality beyond Wofford’s campus.

“The effects of COVID-19 and the call for racial justice on campus have caused Wofford to act and think differently. I kept hearing from students that they wanted things to go back to normal after the pandemic,” Goshorn said. “I know what they mean by that, but I challenged myself and other students to not accept normalcy, but rather exceed normalcy – exceed normalcy in our ability to listen to each other, in respecting our lived experiences and in providing a better outcome for all students.”   

When reflecting on his proudest moment as president, Goshorn decided that the last meeting of the assembly would have to take the cake. He was proud to see the hard work and dedication that the past assembly had done and was able to see that a difference was made in the well-being of the students. Goshorn recognizes that none of this would have been accomplished without his team and them always making him proud.

“I am particularly proud of Megan Santos, who led the effort to update and review the entire Campus Union Bylaws and Constitution,” Goshorn said. “I am also grateful for the work of Treasurer Alicia Jones and the Financial Affairs Committee on creating new Financial Guidelines.” 

As his final words of encouragement to the student body, Goshorn wants to encourage students to remain involved in whatever area they see themselves thriving in. He strongly believes that each student has the ability to make an impactful difference on campus, whether it be running for a leadership position or simply talking with students they don’t often associate with, every person on campus can create their own legacy.

After graduating on May 22, Goshorn plans to one day attend graduate school and earn a degree in Higher Education Administration and apply to work at Wofford in some capacity. 

$0
$500