The Goodletts’ big, fat Greek wedding

Field+and+Abigail+Goodletts%E2%80%99+wedding+and+reception+was+held+at+Wofford+College+on+June+18.+The+two+Wofford+graduates+were+the+first+in+recent+history+to+use+the+campus+as+a+venue+space.+Photo+courtesy+of+the+Ten+Oh+Eight+Company.+
Field and Abigail Goodletts’ wedding and reception was held at Wofford College on June 18. The two Wofford graduates were the first in recent history to use the campus as a venue space. Photo courtesy of the Ten Oh Eight Company.

“Ring by Spring” turned into a “Wofford wedding” this summer when Wofford graduates Abigail (Connelly) Goodlett ‘22 and Field Goodlett ‘21 used the horseshoe space as well as the Greek village as their wedding venue.

“I have always dreamed of an outdoor wedding,” Abigail Goodlett said. “We were also very involved in our Greek affiliations and felt it would be special to us to celebrate with our Greek brothers and sisters back in the place that brought us all together.”

Abigail Goodlett was an active member of Zeta Tau Alpha’s Theta Zeta chapter, and Field Goodlett was an active member of Kappa Sigma’s Alpha Nu chapter. The two were also close with the advisors of their respective Greek organizations.

Their advisers, Dave Pittman and Sharyn Pittman, also met at Wofford and got married, so Goodlett describes the relationship the four hold as a “special connection.” This connection caused the two to be invited to the wedding.

Also invited to the wedding were campus safety officers Dwayne Harris and David Hogsed.

The Goodletts, though not the first to get married on Wofford’s campus, were the first to have the ceremony on the horseshoe and reception in the Greek village. They were also the first Wofford couple to celebrate their marriage on the campus in recent history.

Since the wedding, questions have stirred on campus about the logistical element of having a wedding at their alma mater.

Abigail Goodlett said that the Wofford College staff was generous in the supplies and assistance they were able to provide, including enough room for 415 invites as well as golf carts for ease on their big day. The cost to reserve the space was $3,000.

“We were happy with this cost because other venues are much more, and we are contributing to our new alma mater,” Abigail Goodlett said.

She primarily worked with John Blair, former director of conference services, until his retirement and then Karlee Tate, assistant director for operations and conference services. She said that the two were easy to work with in making her dream wedding a reality.

“(Tate) was absolutely amazing throughout the wedding weekend,” Abigail Goodlett said, “and even helped me take out the 1,000 bobby pins holding my veil in place.”

She described the wedding party as “rather large,” having 11 bridesmaids, 12 groomsmen, two flower girls, one ring bearer, a maid of honor and a best man. They also decided to use the colors black and gold to keep the wedding in theme of Wofford as well as allowing it to be “classic and timeless.”

The attire for the evening was Black Tie formal, which proved to be one of Abigail Goodlett’s favorite parts of her big day.

“I absolutely loved seeing everyone in their beautiful dresses and tuxedos,” Goodlett said.

Izzy Stevenson ‘23 attended the wedding on June 18 and said that the event space proved to be sentimental given the context of the couple.

“It was so beautiful how they used the place where they met, made memories and fell in love to celebrate their marriage,” Stevenson said. “The ceremony and reception were put together perfectly and felt like Abbie and Fields’ very own version of Wofford.”

$0
$500