New staff changes in effect for Student Affairs

Matthew Hammett, Assistant Dean of Students for Student Involvement/Title IX Deputy Coordinator.

CHANGES WITHIN STAFFING FOR STUDENT AFFAIRS COME INTO EFFECT STARTING THIS SEMESTER —

Within the last couple of months on campus, the Wofford community has experienced several changes in an array of areas. From changes including the remodeled Burwell, the Campus Drive fountain, the implementation of Starbucks and Little River Coffee shops, the changes also were seen within several campus departments, one of them being the Office of Student Affairs.

Recently within Student Affairs, Matthew Hammett — who previously worked in the Office of Residence Life as the assistant director — now holds a new position within Student Affairs as he was recently promoted to the new assistant dean of students for Student Involvement/Title IX Deputy Coordinator.

“My role is to enhance the co-curricular experience by focusing on student engagement and student learning outside the classroom,” said Hammett. “I want students to feel a sense of belonging by getting connected and having a purpose driven college experience at Wofford.”

Going into his eighth year at Wofford, Hammett is truly ecstatic about this new position and has a plan in store in regards to promoting and maintaining student involvement on campus.

“There are many involvement opportunities and I want to see students build leadership skills and tools that will help them be successful with their time at Wofford and beyond,” said Hammett.

Roberta Bigger, vice president for Student Affairs and dean of students, is excited for the new outcomes within the staffing of Student Affairs and Hammett’s new position.

“We are thrilled that Matt Hammett accepted this position and all the responsibility that comes with it. Dean Hammett possesses the skill set, the academic credentials and the higher education experience needed to coordinate the co-curricular experiences of our students,” said Bigger.

In this position, Hammett will oversee all aspects of student life at Wofford, which entail Greek Life, Wofford Live, Wofford Activities Council (WAC), Student Intramurals, and also Multicultural Affairs—now referred to as Diversity Initiatives. In addition to Hammett being promoted to assistant dean of students, several others have been added to Student Affairs staff including: Resident Directors Corey Sanders, Kimberly Seibles, and Natalee Oldham, Student Activities Director Luci Laffitte, and Director of Diversity Initiatives—formerly called Director of Multicultural Affairs—Jennifer Gutierrez, coming from Furman University.

With the recent staff changes to the department, Bigger believes that this will bring upon several measures for success for students at Wofford and for future students to come.

“We believe the staff reorganization will enable the Student Involvement team to enhance student success (measured by retention and graduation rates) at Wofford. The staff will strengthen students’ campus experiences and deepen students’ personal development. The staff will be able to direct students’ exploration of the their interests and passions in clubs and organizations and help them fashion new ones. The staff will guide student leaders in creating activities and events to enhance students’ educational, residential and social experiences,” said Bigger.

When asking both Bigger and Hammett what they are most excited about in the upcoming year, choosing one thing that they are most excited about was just too difficult.

“First, I am looking forward to working with the returning and the new staff.  Many faculty, staff and students know that I spent 2013 and most of 2014 fighting breast cancer which translates into surviving chemo and radiation treatments. Therefore, I am thrilled first to still be at Wofford and second to be starting the 2014-2015 academic year with more personal energy, a full and dedicated staff and a reenergized commitment to Wofford, our mission and our students.  I will always be grateful for all the support and encouragement I received from Wofford folks.  Lastly, I look forward to getting to know almost 500 new members of our college community!” said Bigger.

Hammett similarly agrees.

“It’s hard to pick just one thing that I am looking forward to with this academic year. I look at my role and the opportunities I have to impact students as a complete honor and blessing. I am thrilled to be working with our Greek students in helping them thrive as a successful community,” said Hammett.

$0
$500