New additions to the Wofford community

Kim Seibles is passionate about the work Diversity Initiatives can provide in the future.

WOMEN ON STAFF WORK TO IMPROVE CAMPUS DIVERSITY—

As the years progress, many students look for ways to improve Wofford, especially in matters of diversity. Two of the newest additions to Wofford’s staff spoke on their views of what their aspirations at Wofford are now that they have joined the Wofford team.

The new Director of Diversity Initiatives, Jennifer Gutierrez, has had a say in things she would like to see at Wofford. “I want to create an environment and community where students can openly talk about race and diversity,” says Gutierrez.

“Being new, I want to start off having a certain number of programs. My ultimate goal is to create an inclusive community where everyone can feel like there’s a place for them at Wofford.”

As an undergrad, Gutierrez was president of the Rho Iota chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. at Bucknell University. Gutierrez wants to one day reactivate a chapter here at Wofford and let everyone know that “it’s very important to have NPHC organizations on campus for those who are interested in joining. It provides an opportunity for all women to join whatever sorority they want to be a part of. I think Wofford is a fantastic institution, and what made me excited to join their community is seeing the positive direction it’s heading,” says Gutierrez.

“President Samhat’s break down of the strategic vision includes diversity and inclusion, and he is completely backing the work I’ll be doing here.”

Gutierrez, who previously served on the staff member at Furman University, wants to make Wofford a comfortable environment for students of all backgrounds Supporting Gutierrez in the Office of Diversity and Inclusion is Kimberly Seibles.

“I would like to see a more diverse atmosphere and see Association of Multicultural Students get more members fully committed so that we do not have to start over every year,” says Seibles, who also is serving as resident director in Lesesne and Wightman Halls. “As a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha, I hope to one day start a chapter at Wofford, but Wofford just needs a stronger foundation, get a charter started at Wofford, not a nearby institution, and have members do an intake process of campus.”

Graduate school at Columbia College is where Seibles met Brandon Gordon, former resident director at Wofford. That is how she first connected with the college. While in grad school, Seibles did a thesis for her master’s program on African-American student satisfaction at Wofford and found that most were not happy but would not leave because of the prestige Wofford provides.

“I found a worthy opportunity to go work at Wofford and do something I’m passionate about, promoting a positive image for African Americans,” says Seibles.

$0
$500