The new phase V

Among+changes+to+the+Phase+V+menu+are+changes+to+the+dining+area+itself.+Bigger+tables+allow+more+students+to+sit+together.+
Among changes to the Phase V menu are changes to the dining area itself. Bigger tables allow more students to sit together.

By: Garrett Heath, Staff Writer

With my religion class beginning, one student enters into the room excited to arrive in the nick-of-time.

“Sorry I’m late” she says. “I was waiting for my food at Phase V.” Katherine Buchanan—a senior—enjoyed her meal during class due to the backup of orders at the dining facility. Buchanan comments on the wait, believing it may have something to do with a low amount of staff.

“It seems as if there are not many hands and a lot to get done,” she says. Buchanan thoroughly enjoys eating at Phase V and does not think the changes over the summer have affected the quality of the food.

With several televisions and bar stools, the feeling of the dining facility has changed from its former self. The area is even beginning to serve alcohol between 5 p.m.-10 p.m. on Thursday through Saturday. Students cannot use terrier bucks, for the bar only accepts cash and credit.

The menu itself has been changed, now offering more options and giving students the opportunity to order their own food. The ordering kiosks are completely electronic and user-friendly. Individuals choose their meal and write their name on a small piece of paper. The workers then find the name matching the order and deliver the food directly to the table.

I reached out to Danielle Cox — an employee of Aramark, the company that provides food service to the dining at Phase V — to discuss the changes.

On whether or not the employees favor the change:

“The renovation included some improvements to kitchen equipment, which is a great improvement,”

On the new method of delivery:

“We (Aramark) also wanted to offer a different level of service including table service, which in itself posed some initial challenges. We are in favor of the more direct interaction between our staff and students. The personal connection and knowing the students by name is an important part of our customer service plan.”

On whether or not the dining facility is currently under-staffed:

“We are still in the hiring process but have a group of seasoned staff members who worked the location last year. We also look to hire student workers, which is difficult to do until the students return to campus.”

In regard to the menu changes made and upcoming:

“The menu will have items rotate in and out based on student feedback and seasonality. We also will look to bring back some favorites from last year”

Student opinions over the operations and changes at the dining facility seem to differ. Andrew Fowler, a junior, commented on the speed of his meal.

“It took me 55 minutes to get my food” he said. “I miss the daily specials. Also, I think that servers delivering directly to the table makes the process slower”.

Meals are meal trade-out from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday. Phase V also offers a cookout every Friday night from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m.

$0
$500